Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder spilling out of the cases as the shell plate indexes

dferrier

I have just got my 1050 in today and got it setup.

I was dialing in the powder charge on 223 but started noticing a few specs of powder on the shell plate. I got to watching carefully and realized that the powder was kind of sloshing out of the case as it indexed to the next position after the powder drop.

I am not slamming the handle or going fast. Indeed I am going pretty slow.

So I am not sure what is going on. Could this be just the table I have it mounted to is not stable enough?

• 6 months later...

I have done just about everything I can think of, still no joy. I have resorted to just putting my finger on top of the case when it is shuttling from powder drop to bullet seating.

jj

Once I get mine installed I will let you guys know how it worked but I feel confident as per Zombie's recommendations...

When you install it; adjust your shell plate bolt down as tight as you can to where the plate moves, but has a little tension on it. It takes a little tweaking, but it's not hard. What I do is this:

1) Tighten shell plate bolt all the way down until it stops

2) Tighten shell plate bolt set screw snug using the long end snug, then I flip the allen wrench over to the short end to get more torque, and tighten it down pretty tight. This keeps it from loosening up as you use it. This is a common issue as well. I don't think most people make it tight enough.

3) Cycle the arm up and very gently down until the ring indexer hits the indexing block .. it will stop because the shell plate bolt is too tight.

4) Grab a large allen wrench for the shell plate bolt and start backing off the shell plate bolt in 1/8" increments, each time cycling the handle up then down again to see if will successfully index.

5) Repeat step 4 until the shell plate indexes. Keep in mind, since you tightened down the set screw, it will be pretty hard to move the shell plate bolt. Use the short end of the allen wrench.

I'll often keep it so tight that the set screw grabs a little as it indexes, or it turns pretty slow. It will loosen up a bit as you use it to the perfect speed. After 10 or 20 rounds, I might tweak the bolt 1/16" of an inch either way until I'm happy with it. Occasionally, it'll loosen up as I load and I have to tighten it just a tad, usually 1/8th or 1/16th of an inch is all.

But that bearing set works great! Wished I had gotten it a LOT sooner.

This works for me. Put a rubber band under the locater pin at powder station and stretch it over to the locator pin at the bullet seating station. The band holds the case firmly against the shell plate as the plate rotates and stops spillage. Works well on my 1050 when loading major 9 and low cost to boot.

When you install it; adjust your shell plate bolt down as tight as you can to where the plate moves, but has a little tension on it. It takes a little tweaking, but it's not hard. What I do is this:

1) Tighten shell plate bolt all the way down until it stops

2) Tighten shell plate bolt set screw snug using the long end snug, then I flip the allen wrench over to the short end to get more torque, and tighten it down pretty tight. This keeps it from loosening up as you use it. This is a common issue as well. I don't think most people make it tight enough.

3) Cycle the arm up and very gently down until the ring indexer hits the indexing block .. it will stop because the shell plate bolt is too tight.

4) Grab a large allen wrench for the shell plate bolt and start backing off the shell plate bolt in 1/8" increments, each time cycling the handle up then down again to see if will successfully index.

5) Repeat step 4 until the shell plate indexes. Keep in mind, since you tightened down the set screw, it will be pretty hard to move the shell plate bolt. Use the short end of the allen wrench.

I'll often keep it so tight that the set screw grabs a little as it indexes, or it turns pretty slow. It will loosen up a bit as you use it to the perfect speed. After 10 or 20 rounds, I might tweak the bolt 1/16" of an inch either way until I'm happy with it. Occasionally, it'll loosen up as I load and I have to tighten it just a tad, usually 1/8th or 1/16th of an inch is all.

But that bearing set works great! Wished I had gotten it a LOT sooner.

Ok thanks. I will give a try once I get the kit in.

Some one gave me the roller bearing kit and I cut off one coil on the shell plate index spring (under the ball bearing). Problem solved...I was about to chuck my 650 over the fence. I was loading 9mm major and had powder flying all over the place. Not sure why Dillion does not do this in the first place...they make great stuff so I am sure there is a reason.

• 5 months later...