Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel suggestions-

Ed Robinson

Decided to rebuild by Bianchi gun. Its an old Para frame with a Springfield 38S slide.

Im planning on having it accurailed and rebarreled. Trying to decide what barrel to use.

I have a old Wilson barrel with a 2 port cone comp. Thinking of KKM or Kart.

What are yall runnning and suggest? How about new comps? EGW 3 port?

I just put a KKM in my P1640 and I really like it. My gunsmith said that Shuemann Barrels are the best fit for Para Slides. Mine locks up tight and shoots great but there is a slight gap at the muzzle from 11 o'clock to 2 o'clock. Might not be an issue for you since you plan on using a comp.

Ed,

Get rid of the Para Frame. I tried rebuilding one and it cost near as much as a new frame / slide would have and you still have a frame with x rounds on it before you start. Get a frame and slide from the same place and make sure they do not fit together, get a good smith to fit them extra tight. KKM, Schuemann, Kart and any other decent barrel maker is fine. Titanium or Steel Comp, alloy with steel bushing at the very least, however many ports you think will work, but three is my best allrounder these days.

gm-what did you run into on that para frame?

I had considered starting w a fresh sti frame and slide but economically seemed better sense to freshen up my old gun. I've got an old SIngle stack shroud that I've never used that is an option. Anybody know if my Caspian shroud would fit a 2011 frame?

Edited by Ed Robinson

Nowlin Slide and 3 Port Steel Comp. Lisner Barrel. A mix of Ed Brown and Wilson internals. Basically I got a frame not new but never used, in about 1998 it had been in storage for about 5-7 years and was essentially originally made we believe 1991 - 93. All other parts accumulated over 6 months as money became available. Hillver Koenig Style Shroud. Smith and Alexander Magwell / Mainspring Housing reshaped to be a prone base. Basically at about 60K rounds things suddenly went loose. Groups expanded greatly. Thought it was a dud Aimpoint but further testing with spare Aimpoint showed otherwise. Frame had essentially worn out, tried refitting, but the frame was no longer aligned properly and no amount of work was going to be any good.

Went wide long wide STI, 6" STI barrel. 4 port custom Titanium Comp. Custom shroud and barrel locking assembly. Old mover base became low level scope mount, not attached to shroud. Nickeled everything to make it pretty and proceeded to make it ugly by using it. On my third barrel bushing, barrel now 120K plus rounds and still OK. Could be better. New gun on the way, the next step up from what I have. But will not be ready for the Cup.