Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady 230gr HAP

sk330lc

I'm shooting an M&P 4" fullsize 45 in IDPA . Is any one else using the Hap's and what powder have you found to work best? I've been using W231/HP-38. and after 100 rounds my front sight is very sooty. looking for something cleaner burning. want to stick with a ball type powder though.

I use the 230 haps in single stack. I have used both N320 and Clays Both have been very good for me in the 45acp. N320 I use 5.0 gr and the Clays I use 4.1 gr. Both seated to 1.230 oal.

I will use both, it just depends on which power I have on hand.

I loaded up some hornady xtp with w231 because I can't find any wsf or any slower burning powder right now

5.7gr w231 oal 1.235 avg velocity 833.4 out of my 5" barrel 1911. Wanted to get alittle higher Vel. But im pretty sure 5.7 is pushing it hopefully some other powders will come in soon. Anyone have other suggestion for powders that will work well for this round?

my Speer 13 manual lists W231 6.2 grains max OAL 1.260 858 FPS from a barrel length 4.4 inch that is for a 230 grain TMJ, that to me sounds like it would work. you most likely would not need to get to 6.2 grains. Since you already have the powder. It is just a thought.

did some testing with WSF and AA no.5. I may be in love with WSF.

I really like WSF too. very versatile. It has about the same load specs a Unique without all the Flash and dirt and it meters better too. Plus can use in 9mm and 40 as well. Favorite load with WSF 230 grain fmj, 6.0 grains OAL 1.250 crimp of .468. Very little flash.