Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9x19 In 9x23

ede

I want to shoot 9x19 in a 9x23. Thinking to resize brass in a .38 super sizer. Is that the best way to go. I'm thinking after the first time I fire it the brass will become straight or mostly straight and sizing in .38 die will keep it straight.

I haven't checked but isn't the base of the brass larger on the 9x19 than the 9x23? They shoot the same diameter bullet & the 9x19 is tapered so I'm assuming it is bigger. Check a load book, should be easy to figure out. You may have issues with the extractor holding the round since normally the round headspaces on the brass, I believe, so if you try to shoot the short brass, the only way it will fire is if the extractor holds it. Not a very reliable idea, I suspect. I could be wrong, though. hahaha.

MLM

A lot of people shoot 9X19 in .38Super guns so I don't think that would be a problem. Where I think you might encounter a problem with what you suggested is if you resized the case in a straight wall die I'm not sure the bullet would not just fall into the case. I think you would need to reload using the 9X19 setup.

A lot of people shoot 9X19 in .38Super guns so I don't think that would be a problem.

Really? I didn't know that. I know of a guy had his Chamber redone for 9x19 but I think the smith welded it up, then recut it. Didn't know they would reliably run on 9x19. HMMM. Interesting. Learn something new everyday, I guess. :-)

Should of said, it's a 686 wheelie not a bottom feeder. 9x19 and 9x23 both tapered, .38 super isn't. I want to use a straight wall case without having to buy 38 Super brass.

According to this it says the 9 X19 is tapered.

http://en.wikipedia....19mm_Parabellum

And this says the 9 X 23 is straight

http://en.wikipedia....23mm_Winchester

Although the 9X23 is 4 thousandths smaller at the top than the bottom and the 9X19 is 11 thousandths smaller at the top than the bottom..

Whereas the .38 Super appears to be the straightest of all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Super

Edited by Steve RA

Both the 9x19 and the 9x23 are tapered cases. Think of the 9x23 as a long 9x19.

Only the 38 Super is a straight-walled case.

The 9x19 will still be tapered even if you run it through a 38 Super die. And the neck might not be sized small enough to hold the bullet securely.

If you fire a 9X19 in a 9X23 barrel, you are shooting off the extractor and the 9X19 will not be seated on the case mouth. Accuracy will suffer and the extractor will be stressed. Plus, the taper is slightly different and depending on the chamber a standard 9X19 may expand more than it would in a standard 9X19 barrel and cause some gas leakage. Get a 9X19 barrel. What gun are you using?

Thanks everyone, guess my plan to shoot low cost ammo isn't going to work out like i wanted. Wish I had considered all this before I bought the pistol. Guess I thought I had a good idea what I was doing when I bought it but maybe not. I just spent 150$ on clips, sent a spare rear sight off to Weigland to get a new blade put in, and loaded some 9mm with a few grains of Unique to try, and the pistols not made it to my FFL yet. I might of spent a lot of money on something I'm not going to do anything with. Seems .38 Super is what lot of people are using and I was trying to work around not buying more dies or brass and loading for another round to shoot in this one.

• 1 month later...

Ok for anyone who digs this up doing search. .38 Super seems to work just fine, but I only tried six I got from a friend, Loaded 9mm sized in 9mm die with 140 gr. .358 cast and a few specs of Unique. Guys laughed at me and said my .22 made more noise and the bullets were quicker. It may be true but it works great for Steel Challenge. I had a big fear extraction would be a PITA like my 940.

If I can save up enough 38 Super brass I may load Super for this just to make it easy to tell the loads for the 686 from other 9mm loads.