Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Some powder jumping out of the cases

Hi all. I got my XL650 a few weeks ago and am happily reloading 9mm. The last kink that I have to work out is that some powder jumps out of the cases when the turret stops at the detent. Is there any way to decrease the "shock" to the system when it hits the detent? Slowing down my arm and very gently moving the lever doesn't change the effect. I believe I've read about trimming down the spring under the ball that sticks into the detent holes. Is this the recommended solution?

FWIW, I'm using Blue Dot powder, which is pretty flaky. I wanted to be using Power Pistol, but that's a bit hard to come by these days.

Thanks

That is what it took to correct this situation on my 650. Call Dillon and get an extra spring first then do a search on Youtube for some instructional assistance

Watch closely how things are taken apart so the reverse process is not that hard. If you do not have the instruction manual then print one out as there are numerous answers to the 650. Once removing the shell plate you will need to re-index your OAL, crimp and perhaps your powder funnel as it is possible to re-position the shell plate with this process. Best of luck

This works fine for me and I know for a fact many others using the 650

Edited by Aggieddad02

It's really not hard...cut the spring 1/2 coil, and order a bearing kit from: http://www.powerfactorshooting.com/Dillon_650_anti_snap_kit_p/anti-snap-kit-for-dillon-650-s.htm

Also, after you install the kit, tighten the shell plate to where it won't rotate. Then, putting slight pressure on the handle, unscrew the bolt ever so slightly until the shell plate starts to rotate. There's a fine line between too tight and not tight enough.

that's why I stick with my 550 and installed a case feeder...

How does that work for you loading .223 or .308? :closedeyes:

It's really not hard...cut the spring 1/2 coil, and order a bearing kit from: http://www.powerfact...illon-650-s.htm

Also, after you install the kit, tighten the shell plate to where it won't rotate. Then, putting slight pressure on the handle, unscrew the bolt ever so slightly until the shell plate starts to rotate. There's a fine line between too tight and not tight enough.

Agreed, the roller bearing kit with the sring coil cut is an absolute must do for the powder spilling issue. I have ran mine since the first week owning my press after trying it out stock and it makes a huge difference. I regularly change out from 9mm to .223 and never have issues. It does take a little extra effort to get the eject spring just right but one you do it's good to go forever.