Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Could Remington build the ultimate OTB 3 Gun Shotgun?

T Bacus

What would it be? My vision would be a 24" Versamax, 10 + 1 single piece tube, loading port already opened up, fiber optic front and express rear, ships with a cylinder bore and light mod choke tubes. If they would build this and hit a price around $1399 who would not buy one?

Your ideas?

Wasn't that the idea behind the VM Tactical? Sure, it does need some of the finer, custom touches but from the company perspective, they may feel that they have filled that void in the 3G SG market. I hope not since there are still quite a few desirable mods to the 3G SG that should be done. You listed most of them along with the carrier welded although I do understand why they normally have the forked carrier. The other gripe I have about the the VM is the bolt release. Yeah, it's a small deal but I really hate the factory one and I have switched over to the Briley release. I do like the fact that they made many of the trigger group/bolt items interchangeable with the Benelli parts. I wonder if that was by design or just a case of "let's copy that!" syndrome. The bolt carrier handle is also a weak spot for me so I changed that out too. Other than that, maybe some trigger work and a good array of optional sights, along with a dovetail rear, would make this the ultimate 3G SG.

Inverted, single tube magazine with top load and bottom eject (mag on the top and barrel on the bottom). Bullpup design with the charge handle in the handguard. Barrel and magazine tube integrated for rapid take down and in various lengths of 18", 22 and 25". Inertia driven for system simplicity and easy of maintenance. Picatiny to take advantage of the hundreds of iron and electronic sight options.

Pie in the sky, I know, but Colorado lawmakers just proved that wishes really do have wings.

Edited by co-exprs

What would it be? My vision would be a 24" Versamax, 10 + 1 single piece tube, loading port already opened up, fiber optic front and express rear, ships with a cylinder bore and light mod choke tubes. If they would build this and hit a price around $1399 who would not buy one?

Your ideas?

Close...my ideas are already @ Remington and I must say I think their 3G shotgun is going to be pretty awesome. Only downer is we are going to have to wait a while for it to be available.

They need to work on their quality control. I would start with the barrels, the slug poi is awful. I saw another one where it cracked at the weld near the piston housing. On the rib of one of my barrels, it looks like they never finished the top. It looks like a V notch all the way down the rib. I handled another VM at Superstition last weekend that sounded like it had rocks in the recoil spring and the action was VERY gritty. Brand new gun and it was choking constantly. If they can't keep issues like this from cropping up, the momentum they have been gaining will fade quickly. With that said, I love my VM and it has been extremely reliable.

Your ideas?

Sounds close to my VM tactical. Add in the roulette +2 extension and you have 10+1 and send the carrier off to CRums and there you have it. That's what I'm running as of yesterday when the +2 extension arrived. All and all it came to about $1300 and change when it was all said and done. 22" barrel thoiugh.. not 26

Edited by MiniUzi

Sounds close to my VM tactical. Add in the roulette +2 extension and you have 10+1 and send the carrier off to CRums and there you have it. That's what I'm running as of yesterday when the +2 extension arrived. All and all it came to about $1300 and change when it was all said and done. 22" barrel thoiugh.. not 26

Right. Which is why Remington could, if they wanted to, do all this on a gun right from the factory. There is nothing wrong with the VMT and it's 22" barrel but with many opting for a 10 round tube why not have a 24" barrel that would be more or less flush. The 'breacher choke' is another nod to the tactical side, what ever that is, that no 3 gun shooter needs. Mossberg and FN both offer a 24" barrel version of their guns, although I don't know if any 24" FNs have made it onto the market. Besides it's basic marketing right? Sell them a gun that almost does exact what they want, then come out with another one that is a little more of what they want!