Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

need help loading for minor power factor

david8989

This is my first of many posts here. I am an experienced reloader/shooter but a brand spankin' new USPSA comp. shooter. I am wanting to create a load of .40 in minor power factor and need some advice. From what I have read I may have went the wrong way with my bullet weight but I already have some 155's so thats what im gonna use for now till my skill catches up with my equipment. My big question is what powders will work with this combo? precision reccomends bullets from #9 - #26 on the burn chart so could there be some other options in that range to choose from? Also what is a safe buffer zone between the min power factor and what im shooting? I was thinking about loading to a 135 to be safe. Here's my set-up currently.

Glock 22 w/ KKM barrel, fulcrum trigger, stock 18lb spring

155gr RNF from precision bullets

CCI small pistol

mixed brass

powder???

My pistol supplies are pretty low at the moment but I have some power pistol, blue dot, & 231. Also, i'm going to shoot limited. I have the .40 and have shot with it for years so that what i'm going to start with and upgrade in the future if I feel the need. I just want to run club level matches for the immediate future.

Ok, but unless you are hitting all alphas, you are killing yourself by shooting minor. I would shoot major unless there is another compelling reason. I'm not sure I understand your line about "upgrade in the future"? Are you saying that you can't shoot Major out of your Glock and you will upgrading your pistol in the future??

I would probably start off with 231, especially for a minor load. I remember I used the 155 and 165 one time and in the 155, I was using around 4.8 of it for a minor load I was developing for Steel. If you start around 4.4 and work your way up, I'm sure you'll find a good load that you will like. PP and BD are slower powders and would be hard to get to work in the minor load. NOT saying you can't do it, just probably not ideal. I was shooting these out of a 5" STI so your speeds may be slightly less. You have a chrono, right?

If you would like me to look up the exact loads I was using, I can do it tonight when I get home.

First off thanks for helping me with this gng4life. I guess my noobness is showing through. I ASSumed that most shot minor due to the reduced recoil I didn't even think about the scoring system. Also the upgrade comment was directed toward getting an STI someday :goof: . I guess i'm not set on a minor load I just thought it would be the best route. Okay then, If I was going to develop a load for major then would running a 155 lightning fast be best or maybe going up to a 180 with a moderate charge?

David- Hodgdon's website shows 231 powder being used from 5.0 to 6.0 grains using their jacketed 155 grain bullet at an overall cartrdige length of 1.125" and with velocities running from 937fps to 1103fps. With a 155gr bullet I believe you would need 1064fps (without any cushion). With a cushion of 5pf you're at 1100fps for 170pf.

gng4life asked whether you have a chrono because lead alloy bullets tend to go faster than jacketed at a given powder charge, some barrels are faster than others, you can dial in the velocity you need, too much variation in velocity from round to round indicates a problem you would need to look into, velocity can vary a lot with temperature changes with some powders, etc (the "etc" means that I can't remember the rest of the reasons right now- its an old guy thing). Chronos are pretty cheap now.

Have fun.

I do have a chrono and can chrono all my loads accordingly. What powders have yall been using to achieve major? That you can actually find, of course.

You will get a lot of recommendations for relatively fast powders that people use, like VV-320, WST, Tightgroup and a few others. However, you need to be aware that there is a big difference on whether you are loading them long like 1.180 OAL for an STI, or short like 1.130 for a Glock. To load major in a short loading you may need to go with a slightly slower powder or at least start with a lower load than what people suggest for a longer OAL loading. Even though the powders you have on hand may not be the most favored ones for loading USPSA target loads, I believe you can use them to load major pf loads in your gun safely. One poster already quoted a load for 231 from hodgdon's data, and that is probably where I would start in your position, since you have the powder and bullets. As availability of components eases up, you may want to try some other bullets and powder to see if you find something you like better!

Mike