Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building an ELS rig from scratch.

• 5 months later...

So I will be shooting a smith and Wesson M&P 40, versamax loading quads or twins, and a home built AR.

So please critique my buy list.

Safariland inner belt 03O 38" $20

Safariland outer belt 032 40" $56

Safariland ar mag pouch with els kit 774 x2 $71

Safariland pistol mag pouch 771 with els kit x2 $81

Safariland qls hit for holster $30

You are going through exactly where I was less than a month ago, I will do my best to help you out with your purchase list based off of where I purchased my equipment for the best price I could find.

1. Safariland 38" Competition Underbelt loop liner.....$11.97 and in stock

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00080030382

2. SafariLand ELS 40 Inch Competititon Belt.....$35.28 and in stock but low quantity

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000800324026

3. ELS Equipment Locking Kit Black, comes with 2 mounting brackets and 2 forks per kit...$20.48 and in stock...I bought two kits (4 total)

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00080ELSKIT12

4. As for your mag pouch selection....I use Comp-Tac kydex mag pouches, but you can browse Midsouth Shooter Supply, search Safariland and they have a bunch of mag pouch selections, just find the match for you...as for the left vs right hand, quick call to Safariland should clear that up...I honestly don't know.

5. Holster.....Personal preference...I just got myself a Comp-Tac International for my M&P Pro 9mm and mounted it to a QLS, seems to be working pretty well...except for the DOH attachment.....had some issues with that and mounting to a QLS Fork, ended up dropping the DOH attachment and mounted the holster straight to the QLS fork.

6. Shotgun Caddy selection...I went with 2 Carbon Arms SSLP6 Pinwheels for now and bought them from "The Shooters Source" at $60.00 each. I really like them and in less than 24 hours I was loading 8 rounds in under a 6 second par time on the timer. After quite a long time of trying to learn the weakhand load from a traditional caddy....I just suck at it. My next purchase is more than likely going to be an AP Customs 3x3 caddy to supplement the 12 rounds on the belt already bringing me to 18 rounds on the belt. Good enough for me for right now as I can semi-manage a 3 round weakhand reload decent enough.

http://shop.theshooterssource.com/Carbon-Arms-6-Round-SSL-Pinwheel-CA6PW.htm

Here is a few shots of my ELS setup as of right now...

20130327_193816_zpsaf1cc7da.jpg

20130327_193833_zps07d5c703.jpg

20130327_193855_zps3ba07139.jpg

20130327_193917_zps2d5c1d60.jpg

I see your receiver plate for your pistol is mounted w the outside 2 holes.... how did you do that ? Mine didnt seem to line up anywhere close to the holes on the belt ..... I just drilled a new hole in my brand new belt to make it work.... Hope I wasnt too impatient..... :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, out of everything for shooting 3-gun, the freakin belt has been, by far my most frustrating project. In a very short time, I have large container filled with "Belt Parts".

I'm still not happy with it!!

Sheesh

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, out of everything for shooting 3-gun, the freakin belt has been, by far my most frustrating project. In a very short time, I have large container filled with "Belt Parts".

I'm still not happy with it!!

Sheesh

I hear you, Still need more for the ever changing stages and I'm starting to think USPSA will be fun, so more mag holders, can you have too many mag holders or mags?

I see your receiver plate for your pistol is mounted w the outside 2 holes.... how did you do that ? Mine didnt seem to line up anywhere close to the holes on the belt ..... I just drilled a new hole in my brand new belt to make it work.... Hope I wasnt too impatient..... :blush:

I think that's what most people do. Although I did attach my QLS receiver to a tek-lok. The vertical holes lined right up, and it was easy to attach. I just did this, and only have used it in one match, but it seemed to work well. It allows me to slightly adjust the holster position which can be nice, especially when I'm using it for production and need to get all the mags behind my hip.

I think that's what most people do. Although I did attach my QLS receiver to a tek-lok. The vertical holes lined right up, and it was easy to attach. I just did this, and only have used it in one match, but it seemed to work well. It allows me to slightly adjust the holster position which can be nice, especially when I'm using it for production and need to get all the mags behind my hip.

Do most use the QLS for the pistol holsters?