Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Action or Drama Series available for streaming in Netflix

benos

The "streaming thing" is pretty cool. So I was looking for recommendations from streaming addicts.

So far I've watched The Job, Rescue Me, and House of Cards (all in streaming mode). Other than movies, those are the only 3 series that I've streamed.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about Netflix, but we have Amazon Prime. I stream it through my PS3. The wife and I have enjoyed Breaking Bad, Homeland, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, and Downton Abbey(yeah I know it's a chick show, but I liked it too). We just started Justified, the jury is still out on that one. We're kinda warming up to it after a few episodes. We really like being able to power through episodes, usually a few a week. It makes remembering all the little details easier. For us anyway we get more out of the series. Kinda like finishing a book in one sitting.

How was Rescue Me? Dennis Leary right?

what is streaming mode?

You can pay for a service from Netflix, Amazon, or through your Itunes account if you have AppleTV. Im sure there are others. For a fee you can watch their content, tv shows and movies, right over your internet connection. The streaming is that it comes over your internet connection rather than you having to use physical media, like a dvd or something.

I loved watching Homeland & Madmen that way.

I'm thinking of maybe Dexter or Dr. Who next.

Dexter is awesome streaming. I think there's a lot we would have missed if it was one episode a week. Lots of little details, sub plots.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Homeland is not available for streaming on Netflix - so I added the first 4 DVDs.

I don't know about Netflix, but we have Amazon Prime. I stream it through my PS3. The wife and I have enjoyed Breaking Bad, Homeland, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, and Downton Abbey(yeah I know it's a chick show, but I liked it too). We just started Justified, the jury is still out on that one. We're kinda warming up to it after a few episodes. We really like being able to power through episodes, usually a few a week. It makes remembering all the little details easier. For us anyway we get more out of the series. Kinda like finishing a book in one sitting.

How was Rescue Me? Dennis Leary right?

Right. I'm a big fan of Denis Leary. Overall, I really enjoyed the series - a big improvement over The Job. (Also Leary, and with a lot of the same actors from Rescue Me, but as cops instead of firemen.)

The only thing I didn't like about Rescue Me, was, as the seasons went on, I didn't like most scenes that were either with just Leary and his wife, or Leary and his girlfriend. Those scenes just got to be irritating to me for some reason. But all the "guy only scenes" were great.

Just now looking into Amazon streaming... I am an Amazon Prime member; so I was trying to set it up on Amazon. When I clicked the Samsung link iink in their setup section, it took me to a page that said "your device is registered." Both my TV and BlueRay player are Samsung. So which one is "registered"? ... Cause I can't get any farther than that.

In either the TV's or the BlueRay's player's menus, I cannot find the "Amazon Instant Video" icon/app, to get started. This page may or may not let you see where I'm at:

http://www.amazon.co...ocId=1000777511

(Can't get to the "Smart Hub Home Screen" is.)

From amazon's how to setup your Samsung page:

Where can I find the Amazon Instant Video app on my Samsung 2012 device?

The Amazon Instant Video app is available for download in Samsung Apps.

• On the Samsung Smart Hub home screen, select Samsung Apps.
  • On the Samsung Apps screen, from the category list on the left-hand side, select Video.
  • Select the Amazon Instant Video app.
  • On the Amazon Instant Video app detail screen, select Download.
  • When the install prompt appears at the bottom of the Samsung Apps screen, click OK.
  • After the Amazon Instant Video App has downloaded and installed, select Run.
    The Amazon Instant Video app is now available from your Smart Hub home screen

FYI - it looks like most all the movies or series that I have in my Netflix streaming cue - you have to pay for them on amazon. That is kind of a bummer.

For those not familiar with Netflix streaming, it costs (I think) $7.50/month. Not all titles are available for streaming, but a lot of titles are.

Sorry I don't know about the Samsung app. If you can't find the app to download I don't know what to do. It was already on my ps3.

$7.50 a month? No kidding? I've got that either on the ps3 or appletv. I'll check it out. Thanks.

I liked Leary a lot as a stand up. I'll put rescue me in the watch list.

Thanks for the tips!

Just now looking into Amazon streaming... I am an Amazon Prime member; so I was trying to set it up on Amazon. When I clicked the Samsung link iink in their setup section, it took me to a page that said "your device is registered." Both my TV and BlueRay player are Samsung. So which one is "registered"? ... Cause I can't get any farther than that.

In either the TV's or the BlueRay's player's menus, I cannot find the "Amazon Instant Video" icon/app, to get started. This page may or may not let you see where I'm at:

http://www.amazon.co...ocId=1000777511

(Can't get to the "Smart Hub Home Screen" is.)

From amazon's how to setup your Samsung page:

Where can I find the Amazon Instant Video app on my Samsung 2012 device?

The Amazon Instant Video app is available for download in Samsung Apps.

• On the Samsung Smart Hub home screen, select Samsung Apps.
  • On the Samsung Apps screen, from the category list on the left-hand side, select Video.
  • Select the Amazon Instant Video app.
  • On the Amazon Instant Video app detail screen, select Download.
  • When the install prompt appears at the bottom of the Samsung Apps screen, click OK.
  • After the Amazon Instant Video App has downloaded and installed, select Run.
    The Amazon Instant Video app is now available from your Smart Hub home screen

Candis did better research and it looks like my Samsung flat screen is to old to have, or to be able to run, the amazon streaming app. (It's older than 2009.)

what is streaming mode?

You can pay for a service from Netflix, Amazon, or through your Itunes account if you have AppleTV. Im sure there are others. For a fee you can watch their content, tv shows and movies, right over your internet connection. The streaming is that it comes over your internet connection rather than you having to use physical media, like a dvd or something.

Lol. I feel stupid. Had that for years, didn't know the term... :)

Homeland is incredible. I kept asking, "how is this going to continue?"... Pulls you in.

Amazon Prime has seasons of Top Shot - 1-3 I think.

Prime and Netflix sometimes have the same movies, but we have both and enjoy them.

Netflix has tons of good stuff, but you have to look for it.

Seasons of -

Breaking Bad, House of Cards are good.

Plenty of good movies, docu's. but again, you have to look for them. One good way to search for stuff on Netflix is log in, then do an actor search - Like, search for Robert DeNiro - All the DeNiro flicks will pull up. Then you add to your instant queue. That's usually the way I search for movies instead of choosing their genre's.

FYI - it looks like most all the movies or series that I have in my Netflix streaming cue - you have to pay for them on amazon. That is kind of a bummer.

For those not familiar with Netflix streaming, it costs (I think) $7.50/month. Not all titles are available for streaming, but a lot of titles are.

If you are a Prime member there are a lot of free movies in there. Some old, some new (finally watched Ghost Protocol when it went to free). Not sure about any series though.

The only thing I didn't like about Rescue Me, was, as the seasons went on, I didn't like most scenes that were either with just Leary and his wife, or Leary and his girlfriend. Those scenes just got to be irritating to me for some reason. But all the "guy only scenes" were great.

I could not agree more with this statement if I tried! I made sure I DVR'd Rescue Me because when these scenes came on, I just fast forwarded through them. They added absolutely nothing to the show.

At Thanksgiving, my daughter brought her ROKU so she could keep up with several shows she was watching. Within a week I had cancelled my cable premium channels and bought two ROKU sets and signed up for Netflix and Hulu Plus.

Now I've found that there is a bunch of free (and some fee) private channels that do not show up in the ROKU store. Supposedly these are channels not yet reviewed or approved by the ROKU staff but still available with the ROKU setup though they need to be input manually.

Its nice to find some series we never watched, then we get to set aside a weekend to watch it from the beginning to the end.

Recommended is "The Straits". Good show.

Bill

First two seasons of "walking dead" are on Netflix. Really enjoyed the British show "sherlock" - first two seasons are free on prime. Check out "falling skies" on prime for free too. Give it a few episodes and it will grow on you.

Checked today and found there are many series/ TV shows available on Amazon prime, seasons 1, 2, and 3 of Top Shot, Sherlock, Doctor Who (several seasons), Galatica, Caprica, Star Trek (most series), Being Human, British and American, Torchwood, Flashpoint, 24, Fringe... (These are the ones I recall, there were at least 3 sections of 127 shows per section, or too many to look at all of them.)