Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PRK, blended vision and irons.

Neomet

Okay, had PRK done recently and love the results. My dominant eye has a full correction and my non-dominant eye was undercorrected so I can use the computer, read, etc without glasses. Works great.

Driving the dot now is way better. Irons however are fuzzy with my dominant eye (Yes I am an old bastard with presbyopia) but nice and clear with my non-dominant eye. I am looking for thoughts on if it is better to get a plus 1 lens for my dominant eye or to just use my non-dominant eye when I shoot irons. I kinda hate to give up any distance vision like I would need to with the plus 1 lens.

I had the Lasik years ago and for many years (15+) had no problem seeing the front sight and target clearly. My dominant (right) eye was laser cut for distance vision and my non-dominant (left eye) for near vision. Now at the age of 60 yrs, I am battling to see the front fiber optic sight clearly.

I now had my optometrist make up a set of glasses that reversed this - this right lest now focuses on my front sight (I took a number of handguns along for the test) and the left at infinity (I presume). I was worried how my brain would cope with this reverse, but except for some initial disorientation and a slight headache every time I fit the glasses, I have no problem. The disorientation and headache clears after about 30 minutes. I use this setup for IPSC type shoots, as well as pin shooting, and it works reasonably well. I see the sights clearly and the targets well enough. I recently used the glasses at the level 3 South African practical pistol championships over two days and around 350 shots, without difficulty.

I had the Lasik years ago and for many years (15+) had no problem seeing the front sight and target clearly. My dominant (right) eye was laser cut for distance vision and my non-dominant (left eye) for near vision. Now at the age of 60 yrs, I am battling to see the front fiber optic sight clearly.

Were you a shooter 15 years ago, when you got the surgery? I'm wondering why you would have your dominant eye cut for distance, if you shoot with "iron" sights.

Try a +.50 over both eyes first. It might slightly fuzz the distance but should help a lot with the sights. If you need more you can go to +.75. A +1.00 will probably lose too much of your distance. If you would like, I can let you try a flipper setup with the +.50 to try while you dry fire. PM me with your address and I'll send it to you to try.

If you are using a different pair of glasses for shooting than what you normally wear, I've found that it works better if you put them on in the morning you are going shooting when you get up. That keeps your eyes/brain from having to deal with two different prescriptions in the same day.

Try a +.50 over both eyes first. It might slightly fuzz the distance but should help a lot with the sights. If you need more you can go to +.75. A +1.00 will probably lose too much of your distance. If you would like, I can let you try a flipper setup with the +.50 to try while you dry fire. PM me with your address and I'll send it to you to try.

I had the same procedure done about 10 years ago and have the same problem. Not bad, but on a darker front sight I also strain a bit to see it clearly. Indoor range range light is more of a problem. In good lighting, not nearly the issue. I'll try a +.50 and see what happens. I also have an appointment with an optometrist in a couple of days and will see what she recommends.

Were you a shooter 15 years ago, when you got the surgery? I'm wondering why you would have your dominant eye cut for distance, if you shoot with "iron" sights.

I was a shooter then. I cannot recall all the details, it may also have been that it was standard procedure to adapt the dominant eye for distance vision. My eyes were still young enough then to accommodate different focal lengths and for the right eye to be able to focus on the front sight. I can't recall whether I discussed the issue with the ofthalmologist at that stage. I probably (naively?) accepted that better vision will just solve all vision related problems.