Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi everyone, I’m a newbie here but have been lurking on the forum for a few months trying to gather tips whenever, wherever I can. I just finished Brian’s book and to say I am inspired would be a tremendous understatement. Who would have thought the concepts, ideas and strategies he thought up 20+ years ago would still be just as relevant as they are today! (Thank you again, Brian)

So on to my latest road block - Shooting groups from 18-25+ yards-freehand(I mean standing with both hands).Before you all beat me up too bad - I am following the steps as have been outlined by the master - started out shooting at nothing at all, just the berm. Got comfortable enough to "see" what I needed to see when I needed to see it given the circumstance (shooting at a berm with no target) and felt it was time to move on to bench rest shooting. I stayed on that damn bench until I could get my 2.5-3" groups at 20-25Yds consistently with little or no flyers on most given days. Relying on mechanics, eyes open, calling the shot as best I could see it, following through- everything was working well from the bench. So I moved on...I went in steps- started at 5 yards, moved to 10 then on to 15 and after that is where things started to change...Drastically.

I observed that at about 18-20+ yards my fundamentals begin to deteriorate rapidly. I am overcome by "thought" rather than "action" - immediately I am doing mental checks on ALL my fundamentals - stance, grip, pressures, relaxed stomach, FRONT SIGHT, EYES OPEN, trigger, call the shot - EVERYTHING! And its during that time my form just goes to complete shit. I’m anticipating the shot/recoil, losing the front sight, incorrectly calling my shots; it’s just the worst feeling ever.

So my remedy when this is happening is to first observe that it is happening and go back to what’s comfortable and easy (I know what a puss) moving it back to 7 yards, 10 yards 15 yards and guess what - as soon as work back up to the 20-25 yard range - it’s the same problem! It’s almost like at that distance (20-25 yds.) my mind flips this anxiety/doubt switch that on some days it literally seems impossible to overcome so i resort back to bench resting, or moving back to 10-15 yards and usually end up leaving the range feeling very unaccomplished and pretty bummed out...

Sorry for the rant! Please know I am not looking for that "one special answer" I was really hoping just to get your guys opinions, possibly some tips and maybe some shared similar experiences if at all applicable or relevant to my situation. Thank you everyone in advance for taking the time to read and/or respond all input is much appreciated!

Make it a great day everyone!!

-Chase M.

That is a great drill! thank you HPJack, i am going to give this a try this week.

**Another thing i wanted to point out or touch on is the visibility (or lack therof) of said target at 25 yards. When im shooting 25yd groups (indoor range) i set up a white 11x17 sheet of paper with a 3.5" BLACK circle in the middle for my POA - which is still damn hard to "pick up" at 25 yds. I began to wonder if the lack of visibility of the target (or POA in this case) has something to do with all or some of my above mentioned symptoms...When i cannot blatantly pick up that black circle out of my peripheral vision i begin to doubt my sight placement which in turn seems to "open the gates" to all my doubts, poor judgment, lack of fundamentals, etc. to come pouring through before i break the shot.

How can one call his shots if he cannot mentally reference the front sight placement in relation to the target/POA at the time the shot breaks? - I can watch that sight all day - up, down, recoil or not - but if i cannot clearly see WHERE the sight is in relation to the 3.5" black dot how would i ever correctly call my shot at that distance?...no i dont wear glasses or contacts and dont need corrective vision surgery - honest! :)