Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VersaMax bolt locked!

carbon9

I just got my new 26" VersaMax Synthetic back from Remington for the second time. This time they finally replaced the bent barrel I initially sent it in for. Thank you.

The VersaMax arrived with the bolt locked back. I pushed the bolt release, nothing happened. I pulled back on the bolt handle, nothing happened. I removed the trigger group, pushed and pulled on the bolt handle, still nothing. If I push on the bolt face it won't budge, it is pushed all the way back in the carrier body(or whatever they call it).

Right now I am pretty much done with Remington's quality control and repair capabilities although I do really like Remington Customer Service, fast, friendly and professional. Guess it's the Yin and Yang of Remington.

Any suggestions on how to fix this myself? The only thing I can think of is tapping the bolt handle forward with a brass mallet, just worried it will break off at this point. I am also worried the cam pin or something else is broken inside and causing this.

Maybe someday I will get to shoot this thing.

Please let me know any fixes you may have.

:eatdrink:

Thanks guys. I was so irritated by the whole thing I decided to whack the bolt handle a few times with the brass hammer handle. After about 3 times the bolt unlocked and seems to function the way it should. I am going to have somebody who knows these things far better then myself take it completely apart and see if something was binding in the tube. Who knows the firing pin retaining pin could have simply come loose during shipping and locked it up also. Better safe then sorry.

We replace the F.P. retaining pin with a roll pin, remember murphy is still around.

i having been wanting to do that since i had my bolt lighten but have had trouble find just the right size, could u let me know what that is?

/

Edited by RWF

I had the same thing wrong with my Versa Max when it came back from warrenty work (recalled hammer replacement). What a pisser, well I called them and they sent me to a local Rem. cert. repair shop here in Portland Or. At first they wanted it sent back to the service center in NY... But I was not happy about that as I had already waited three weeks for its return. I explained how it was the only shotgun I owned and was having so much fun that I considered purchasing a extra trigger assembly so I would not have to be without it should a problem arise again. Well the good news is they called the local repair shop and I had a working gun back the same day. I was told a tap with a brass headed hammer on the bolt face released the frozen bolt assembly.

The whole thing didn't sit we'll with me as they failed to provide the platinum service quick 7 day turnaround (this all occurred just before hunting season so the service center was swamped as the reason for the delay). To my surprise for my inconvenience they offered to send me a complete extra trigger and bolt assembly along with a few tactical parts (bolt release button +) to complete my 26" black synthetic custom tactical rebuild. Mr. Jennings White is the man and his customer service management made me proud I bought American.

9 months ownership of my first shotgun or shooting any gun and I've scored my 25 straight in trap and as of last week skeet also. Love my Traptical Versa Max and its been flawless. I'll post some pics and a list of mods you 3 gunners might be interested in.

Oh yea they also sent me some ammo : )

Cheers!

Edited by smithereen

• 3 weeks later...

We replace the F.P. retaining pin with a roll pin, remember murphy is still around.

i having been wanting to do that since i had my bolt lighten but have had trouble find just the right size, could u let me know what that is?

/

I tried a 3/32 pin - too small. I tried a 1/8 pin - too big. Still looking for the pin that is just right.