Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 autodrives, what do you guys perfer?

been looking into an autodrive for my 1050 since it will be used in an 06 FFL ammo company.

i am looking at the chain drive one since it gets rid of the cam action that is stock and easier to change the speed with sprockets.

what does the hive think?

I'm curious about trimming with the chain drive. It doesn't seem like the "pause" at the bottom of the stroke is enough to trim long once fired machine gun brass?

why would it matter what type of gun it was fired out of?

Don't know that it does, but the .308 machine gun brass I've seen has freaking LONG necks!

The Supers have been converted as well for chain drive. Email cforcht@gmail.com for more info. The original unit loaded a lot of .223 ammo just fine before the Ammoload .223 unit arrived......

DougC

PS....I won't waste my time explaining the PW mess.....do a search if you want to know. Many of us are very unhappy with the RL PW units, they know it, and they still sell them.....

i have been talking to the chain drive guy, 99.9% sure i'll be going for that because you send him the machine and he sets it all up for you. also like the mech of the chain drive since there is no lever action and this looks so much smoother.

why are the PWs annoying? because of the linkage and what not. we have a 650 on one and have broken 3 of the index rings so far as it just blew them apart, i'm saying we sell the entire 650 set up with auto drive and get another 1050.

I have a pw that took a long time to get just right and I still don't like it. We have 3 of the units Doug linked to comming in 2 for supers and 1 for an RL. At least 1 of the machines will wind up with a 3ph motor but run off of a 110v VFD for infinite speed control.

I would love to have a 1050/650 automated, just cant trust leaving it alone though...

Automating your 1050/650 does not mean leaving it alone. It just means you don't have to pull the lever - you have to pay just as much attention to the loading process as before.

Automating your 1050/650 does not mean leaving it alone.  It just means you don't have to pull the lever - you have to pay just as much attention to the loading process as before.

Adding a motor to a 1050 doesn't allow you to walk away but adding a motor isn't automation either.

Here are two videos of my PLC controlled automated 1050 that loads without my attention.

click on this photo to play video showing how it works.

th_VIDEO0114.jpg

And here is a video in operation.

th_VIDEO0116-2.jpg

I have a pw that took a long time to get just right and I still don't like it. We have 3 of the units Doug linked to comming in 2 for supers and 1 for an RL. At least 1 of the machines will wind up with a 3ph motor but run off of a 110v VFD for infinite speed control.

hmmm can you explain that a little more and can i get that from the chain drive guy? i'd prefer that over changing out the sprockets.

Here is a link to a VFD, they are a cheap and easy way to Have a variable speed motor and retain a decent amount of torque.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Drives/GS1_(120_-z-_230_VAC_V-z-Hz_Control)/GS1_Drive_Units_(120_-z-_230_VAC)

This one allows you to run a 1/2 hp 230v 3ph motor from a 110v outlet, at any speed from 0 to name plate rpm. So you would start with a gear motor that would run as fast as you would ever want to go and turn it down from there.

The link isn't working right just google 'gs1 drive unit automation direct'.

Edited by jmorris