Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wide body Caspian mags?

Skizeks

• 1 year later...

If you get the Shooter's Connection BE member discount (all that cool kids have that, right? ;) ) they run less than sixty bones for a 140mm quick change base pad mag.

Caspian, Brownell's, Shooter's Connection...all are great companies, and they support us.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

MBX will have Hi-cap mags avaliable in a few months.

Emailed them about this. This is the response I got:

I am looking into it but we are so busy with the STI and Para line that I have not decided if it will be on the table for us to consider as the overall demand vs tooling / manufacturing cost is high thx Adrian MBX

Not real surprised to read this. Hopefully they will change their mind.

A well thought out 140 and 170 mm mag tube design would be usable in both the Tanfoglio large frame guns and the Caspian wide bodies, and both the Tanfo and Caspian mags work well with 38 super or 9mm without spacers. So one basic mag tube design could cover two platforms that have been hugely neglected. Might not sell a truckload like the modular gun mags but it would make them a one stop shop for performance mags for all the platforms, increase their profile among competition shooters, and bring them good karma from the neglected Tanfo and Caspian owners.

Agreed. And this was something I mentioned when I replied to their email but I never heard any more from them. Hopefully they will grab the reigns and give us some quality mags. I have my Caspian mags working pretty well but went through a few springs and followers before I got it right. :S

I'm using the Caspian springs and followers, though there are two different followers. One is black and has two "legs" that extend down about 1/2". the other is white and has no legs. I am finding the black to be a lot better. Basically my only mods so far has been polishing the inside of the feed lips and opening them just a little bit at the front, And I used the dremel to cut the slide lock cut about 3/16" deeper and enlarged it a little to keep it from rubbing and hanging my empty mags.

I did cut some of the coils in an earlier attempt to get them less stiff when fully loaded but that caused more issues in the long run so I went back to full coils and just use the Uplula to load them. Polishing the feed lips helped keep the case heads from dragging as much on feeding and gong to Super Comp brass instead of regular 38 Super +P helped too.

Edited by Dranoel

The Grams Engineering spring and follower work well in the new style caspian mags with the quick change base pad.

In 38 super 140mm mags with a little tweaking you can get 23 reloadable. If you decide to go this route the best way to get them is to call Gram's Engineering and order them directly from Beven (he is a forum vendor). Be sure to tell him they are for the new style caspian mags. They are marked "Grams - T" on the bottom and are the same followers used for large frame Tanfoglios.