Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What has this panic buy session taught you?

I know this current panic buying session is unusual, since we had 2 panic buys 1 right after the other. Obama's re election, and then Sandy Hook. This seems worse to me than any of the other drought we have gone through before. Maybe it's just were I live, maybe not. Things I have learned this go around.

1. It's time to get a reloader and start stocking up on components, once they become available again. Some of the guys I shoot with are doing fine ammo wise, as they reload and have been stocking up for years.

2. Surprisingly, I can still find .40S&W ammo. Just bought some today, and the shop had quite a bit of it, but no 9mm or .45ACP. I knew that 9 and 45 were the popular rounds, but I really am surprised that I can still find .40 ammo. .40 projectiles are easier to find to. I just started shooting .40 last December in Limited Major so I didn't have time to stock up much before all this happened.

3. Primers seem to be the harder things to find for reloaders. I'm not reloading yet, but my friends that do complain about running out of primers.

What has it taught you guys? I know some of my friends that thought they were prepared for a panic like this found out they were wrong, and they didn't have enough stuff in there stash to outlast this one. I have been able to find ammo to shoot at least every other week at local matches. BUt each time I go, I am seeing less and less people since they can't find ammo or components.

It has taught me to put my guns away until this nonsense is over. It is no longer worth the hassle.

I have around 7,000 rounds made and everything is cleaned and in top condition. The rest is stored away.

I go fondle my Dillon about twice a week. My 1911 a bit more.

I ain't using any of it until these idiots put their credit cards away and stop causing their own shortages.

My motorcycle needs some miles put on it, my pooches want to play and my grass needs mowing.

Life goes on. Oh yeah, I have a wife around here somewhere too.......................... :surprise:

I was out of shooting the last time. Nevertheless, this time even I could see it coming so I bought before the fit hit the shan.

I don't shoot as much as some and I'm converting to one caliber so I figure I have enough for the better part of this year. By the time my supply runs out, I should have a press up and running again and I'm hoping that components will be available.

Edited by lumpygravy

It has taught me that I need a better paying job! :blush:

This and that when you stock up on primers and powder bullets will be hard to find. I am looking forward to all the good stuff on ebay when the people that were buying everything they could realize thay arent going to reload and need to pay off that visa to buy golf clubs.

This episode has taught me nothing. The 2008 episode taught me to never get caught short again. And I didn't this time.

I was in the process of changing calibers when this one happened. So I did get caught by this one. I wasn't shooting much in 08 so that one didn't really effect me much, didn't even hardly notice it to be honest.

It has taught me that I need a better paying job! :blush:

This and that when you stock up on primers and powder bullets will be hard to find. I am looking forward to all the good stuff on ebay when the people that were buying everything they could realize thay arent going to reload and need to pay off that visa to buy golf clubs.

Guns are already slowly starting to show up for sale. Picked up a complete lower at a gun shop a couple weeks back for $200. Guy walked into the store and tried to sell it, they only wanted complete rifles. When he walked out, I followed and asked how much he wanted and I looked at it. I offered $200 cash, and he took it. It had some top $$$ components in it to. Should have sold for more than double what I paid. People are realizing this stuff is harder to sell when people aren't freaking out so bad.

i never thought .22lr would become so scarce. i will load up when all this Sh!t is over.

That is one that really surprised me to. After the election last year, .22 was still plentiful. I don't shoot .22 that often so I have a decent amount of that on hand.

This episode has taught me nothing. The 2008 episode taught me to never get caught short again. And I didn't this time.

+1

I'd buy here and there, make sure I had enough stocked up

It did have me looking what was critical path.. that turned out to be .223 brass - but I still had enough to load for all my 3 gun matches this year including MGM Ironman

It taught me that many people who proclain adherence to free market capitalisim suddendly find themseves hypocritically pissed off when they are on the heavy demand side of the equation. This is supply and demand in it's most simple form and capitalisim, like a good marriage is for better or worse. I am mad at no one and would not want to give up on it no matter what side of the equation I may find myself on at various points in time. If someone has a box of 50 rounds of 9mm ammo that they paid $9.95 for and someone out there is willing to pay $60 for it then more power to them both.

The only time I would call someone on deliberate gouging is if it were food and water during or just after a natural disaster. That's just where I would personally draw the line.

Edited by bajadudes

It taught me to pay attention to Sarge - on November 7 he posted this...

I'm ordering enough tonight to last me 5 years of shooting. wink.gif I only shoot about 7500-10000 rounds a year.

50k primers and 40 lbs of powder should about do it. Thank goodness I use small Rifle primers..

No more load development for me! LOL

I got into this sport right after the 2008 election and thought I had made a terrible mistake as I could not find a gun, powder or primers for months. I won't let that happen again.

Emphasized the need for educating uninformed/misinformed "liberals", and supporting conservative candidates. I think at least 80% of the electorate actually want the same things. They just don't realize it yet.

I got caught short in 2008 - never again.

I stocked WAY up after 2008 and buy in bulk whenever I've got some extra funds. Currently, I'm standing at approx 70K primers of all types, over 40lbs of powder (rifle and pistol), and roughly a dozen cases of bullets (rifle and pistol, various calibers and types). I've been "brass conscious" - sounds better than "brass whore" - for years, so probably at least 60K pieces on-hand of various calibers.

For a couple years I've been picking up a brick of .22 on most trips to WalMart, so I don't even know how many of those I have - maybe 40-50 bricks. I also try to pick up at least a few boxes of birdshot on most trips to Academy - have maybe 4-5 cases on-hand. Hoping that things get settled down soon - not so much for me but for all the newer shooters who are struggling.

In the words of BSA - "Be Prepared".

Edited by Fullauto_Shooter

I was taught since the early 90's that leaders have vision or foresight of the future. I started tinkering around with the interactive electoral college map at 270towin.com in December 2011/January 2012. So I had ten months or so to prepare accordingly.

Having worked for Century Brass Works/Olin didn't hurt either.

Edited by Chills1994

The problem is our rights are under attack. There are "lawmakers" out there right now trying to make it illegal to "stockpile" ammo, or even buy in bulk/online. No ammo=no guns. They have already succeeded in many areas. The media are gradually brainwashing more Americans into thinking that guns are evil. Most people have no clue as to the historic pattern of disarmament preceding mass murder. We'd better stop reacting to the symptoms and start dealing with the problem, or get used to living as disarmed subjects.

Edited by phm14

It taught me that many people who proclain adherence to free market capitalisim suddendly find themseves hypocritically pissed off when they are on the heavy demand side of the equation. This is supply and demand in it's most simple form and capitalisim, like a good marriage is for better or worse. I am mad at no one and would not want to give up on it no matter what side of the equation I may find myself on at various points in time. If someone has a box of 50 rounds of 9mm ammo that they paid $9.95 for and someone out there is willing to pay $60 for it then more power to them both.

The only time I would call someone on deliberate gouging is if it were food and water during or just after a natural disaster. That's just where I would personally draw the line.

I could not have said it any better myself. I have a T-shirt you might be interested in:

enjoy-capitalism-t-shirt.american-apparel-unisex-fitted-tee.red.w760h760.jpg

This isn't the free market at work, this is government interference in the free market at work. The government is interfering in supply and demand on several levels right now. I am a hard core capitalist and this is not organic capitalism at work, if you think it is you need to bone up on the subject. :mellow: