Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small magnum pistol primers for 9 major?

shovel919

I bought a couple thousand of federal small magnum pistol primers at my local range thinking I was going to use them for my minor production load, but read about possible breech face erosion on the forum which turned me off to doing it. I also just started loading 9major, using Winchester small rifle primers, is there any reason not to use the magnum primers for 9major?

I see no problem using magnum primers in my open guns.

Magnum primers are designed to ignite magnum loads, which means more powder than regular rounds and similar to open loads. Though you can use them in minor or regular rounds, it would be an overkill since you dont need a magnum primer ignition to burn the powder in those rounds.

I always use them in my open loads with no issues.

In the current climate I'd use anything I had. Seriously doubt that magnum pistol primers would have an adverse effect on your breech face. Most of the comments I've heard about that have mentioned the use of rifle primers, not pistol.

I have been using some Federal SPM that I bought during the last primer shortage. With a 135 Gr major load for my .40 open gun I get definite blow-by and bolt bolt face erosion. (My usual primer is WSP.) Same gun with a 125 Gr frangible major load, seems ok.

Keep watch!

Chuck