Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have this problem...Is there a name for it?

Mark R

Hey folks, I have this problem. Being a competitive shooter in USPSA for quite a few years, I have experienced this odd behavior. Not sure what it is, but a good example goes like this…

I go to get a cup of coffee, I reach for the cupboard door handle with left hand and right hand follows, picking up the coffee cup with right hand, closing the cupboard door behind. Setting the cup down with right hand, my left hand is already moving to the sugar container. As the left hand reaches the sugar container, my right hand has already picked up a spoon to measure the sugar. Setting down the spoon, my left hand is setting down the sugar container, my right hand has already laid the spoon down and is picking up the creamer, pouring with my right hand while picking up the spoon with my left and stirring my coffee. Well you get the idea.

When I’m in the bathroom getting ready for work, I experience the same with regards to brushing teeth, shower, shaving, and putting on clothes. Speed and efficiency at its finest.

I think speed and efficiency has run amok. This happens on most everything I do. Is this normal/should I seek help? Is there a classification system for this problem?

Is there a name for it???

Any of you out there in the shooting world have this problem too?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HA Good analysis. It was an example though. The point I was trying to make was when I do stuff, I try to use the least amount of time. Efficiency is the name of the game.

Now fess up...how many of you got this mysterious problem?

HA Good analysis. It was an example though. The point I was trying to make was when I do stuff, I try to use the least amount of time. Efficiency is the name of the game.

Now fess up...how many of you got this mysterious problem?

<<bows head and raises hand>> :blush:

Other symptoms include air gunning, doing the duck walk and opening doors with the weak hand low and gun hand high.

Yep me too. Extreme symptoms include but are not limited to.

Left hand instinctively reaching for mag every time you pull something out of your pocket with right.

When turning making every turn a quick about face while searching for potential targets.

Constantly walking with knees bent and one foot directly if front of other.

Dropping everything you're currently doing because you just had a great idea for a stage design and need to write it down.

This happens to me all the time. I find it more interesting to see how my movement while walking around has changed to support the ability to produce a steady upper body platform that you could shoot effectively from. That and the elimination of almost all shuffle steps while moving around in a confined area. I usually pick a planted foot position and move my upper body around with my knees. Lastly, I have noticed that a lot of my direction changing movements are initiated with my feet, not turning my head to where I want to go.

This happens to me all the time. I find it more interesting to see how my movement while walking around has changed to support the ability to produce a steady upper body platform that you could shoot effectively from. That and the elimination of almost all shuffle steps while moving around in a confined area. I usually pick a planted foot position and move my upper body around with my knees. Lastly, I have noticed that a lot of my direction changing movements are initiated with my feet, not turning my head to where I want to go.

Long ago when my life WAS competitive freestyle snowboarding, I came to one of many realizations which someday I'll put into a 2 page book titled, "The Dao of Dom."

"If one wishes to perform an action with balance, efficiency, and grace, one should strive to perform ALL tasks with balance, efficiency, and grace."

This goes for even the most mundane tasks such as tying one's shoes or brushing one's teeth.

ETA-2 pages might be stretching it. I wonder if anyone would publish a 1 page book?

Edited by d_striker

I have noticed my reaction times have improved a lot lately. I have been pushing myself with training and have really started to amaze myself with the odd grab of something falling off a table or catching a ball playing with friends. As I have spent more time picturing my shooting mentally I feel like I can slow things down while I am shooting and thats what has spread into the rest of my world. When you look at what competitive shooters do with .3 seconds and apply that elsewhere the time you have react in an emergency almost seems longer than it is. I feel like my potential to focus on a single point in time has increased exponentially. Now if I could only express my ideas in writing better...

Hey folks, I have this problem. Being a competitive shooter in USPSA for quite a few years, I have experienced this odd behavior. Not sure what it is, but a good example goes like this…

I go to get a cup of coffee, I reach for the cupboard door handle with left hand and right hand follows, picking up the coffee cup with right hand, closing the cupboard door behind. Setting the cup down with right hand, my left hand is already moving to the sugar container. As the left hand reaches the sugar container, my right hand has already picked up a spoon to measure the sugar. Setting down the spoon, my left hand is setting down the sugar container, my right hand has already laid the spoon down and is picking up the creamer, pouring with my right hand while picking up the spoon with my left and stirring my coffee. Well you get the idea.

When I’m in the bathroom getting ready for work, I experience the same with regards to brushing teeth, shower, shaving, and putting on clothes. Speed and efficiency at its finest.

I think speed and efficiency has run amok. This happens on most everything I do. Is this normal/should I seek help? Is there a classification system for this problem?

Any of you out there in the shooting world have this problem too?

Sounds to me like your are going to "A" class soon :goof:

Yes: EDA (Efficiency Driven Attention)

I know because I self-diagnosed myself with it.

It also can be, depending on one's Tempermant Type, a natural bi-product of being an IPSC shooter.

Guilty.

I find myself balancing quite a few things at once most of the time, and am displeased when I don't have the skill or mindfulness to optimize them all perfectly. Which leads to a not insignificant amount of butthurt because as a rule, I don't.

It especially gets bad when I find myself doing it with people. I will sledgehammer right through a conversation and completely ignore and dismiss the hesitancy people have for even remotely uncomfortable topics. To varying degrees, people tend to want to dance around things and approach them with reluctance. I on the other hand like to cut right to the heart of things. I think it turns a lot of people off... Oh well, no one ever said I had tact or wasn't awkward. :)

I read this really cool book last year called "Better Than Normal". It was written by a shrink, (can't spel the other word) who realized that people need to feel good about their special abilities. Like being ADD, OC, Psychotic, ect. It's a real fun book!!! You take the test in the back before you read it. Then, you read the book and learn how its really OK to be the way you are. (Like you need to read a book to know that :blush: )

I read this really cool book last year called "Better Than Normal". It was written by a shrink, (can't spel the other word) who realized that people need to feel good about their special abilities. Like being ADD, OC, Psychotic, ect. It's a real fun book!!! You take the test in the back before you read it. Then, you read the book and learn how its really OK to be the way you are. (Like you need to read a book to know that :blush: )

I feel great about being schizophrenic.

And so do I!

I frequently have to have my arms up while the building security officer waves the metal detector wand over me. I'm always nervous that a buzzer will sound at that moment, causing me to instinctively drop my strong hand to the spot on my belt where a holster would normally be, while my weak hand snaps to high ready. Pretty sure I'd have some 'splainin' to do.