Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

8 shot Major Revo in Production?

While we are looking for places to use our 8 shot revos why not push for a BOD rule change to allow 8 shot / major power factor / revolvers in Production Division. It's not like the revolver could win any major matches. I think everyone would agree to that. But it might close the gap to where a good revlover shooter could be competitive once in a while at the club level. A 5 inch 627 shooting the ammo that it was built to handle (357 mag) is about as stock and/or production as it gets. I'm not sure how to set up a voting poll but I'd like to see how the vote tally would pan out on this one.

I would be game for that. I would also be up for shooting 357 major in single stack division also. I brought up single stack because in production division you can't make a lot of changes to the gun like bobbing the hammer. Which ever would be the easiest fit though I'd be up for.

Why major just run minor ammo and enjoy it instead of beating yourself up.

+1 Then there would not be any inequity in scoring...Although if a completely separate division were formed (Revolver Production), anyone with a revo could compete with their BS (bone stock) revo. Two different classes...8 shot and 6 shot...sorry 7 shot revo guys....besides, we all know you have either a 6 or 8 shot revo as well...or just make an oddball revo division (5 or 7)

Get a group of fellow revo guys and just invade an applicable division and shoot. Let the chips fall whereever they fall. This from a fellow that shot Open in an open State match. I think it was open limited or some such. Had a dot on my revo and shot minor. Won a stage (classifer at that) and did not finish last. rdd

I feel for shooters without a home for their pistol of choice. That being said I don't know why they would change the rules of one of the more popular divisions just to try and make one gun more competitive. 8 shot major beats 10 shot minor most of the time in single stack.

Carmony: Without a BOD rule change you aren't even allowed to shoot a .357 as a major load in limited 10. (.40 cal. minimum)

Jaxshooter & Grumpyone: Because of the scoring advantage of major over minor-- it's an attempt to overcome some of the inherent disadvantage of the revolver's slower reload speed. You still won't be able to win major matches for this very reason (reload speed) but you would be more competitive at the club level.

Bubber: I really don't want success as being defined as not finishing last-- with such a rule-- at the club level--you might win a match or two if you could use major in Production.

Carmony: I'm still not allowed to shoot all 8 rounds out of my revolver in revolver division. That's why major in Production might be a more palatable concept than 8 rounds minor vs. 6 rounds major in Revolver Division.

They should let those eight shot revolvers shoot in single stack, with no caliber limit for major for revolvers. I think that this is the venue where the eight shot revolvers would be most competitive. That said, I still don't think revolvers would beat the 1911's.

You still need 40 caliber to make major outside of open and revo divisions.

Ah yes....excellent point.

Yet another good reason to simply shoot your (6 shot) REVOLVER in REVOLVER DIVISION where it belongs!

• 2 weeks later...

We have tried 6 shot major revos in USPSA for years and ridiculously low turnouts are proving that the average person does not enjoy the

masochistic drill of repetitive standing reloads. You have no chance of getting into the flow of an 8 round neutral stage with a 6 shot revolver. A one legged man in a butt kicking contest comes to mind. And even though the majority of our voters would prefer allowing 8 minorinto revolver division, there is still a vocal minority wanting to stay put. While they are fighting this out---what is the harm of allowing unmodified 8 shot major power factor revolvers into Production? It would just give the revolver guys somewhere they can shoot their 8 shot 627s to full capacity. Weigh out the risk/benefit of this request, it will not step on any of the top production shooters toes (they'll still win)and it will allow 627 nuts a place to play with their magnums. Shooting 357s out of a 357 is as production as it gets. It's a win win request. There is no down side. And at the club level--with a little skill advantage--you could even be competitive with the minor scored production autos. This would be a fun challenge.

They can shoot l-10 and be in the same boat as the 6 vs 8.

Anyway, we should open up revolver. Open is Open with major or minor. They can use their 7's or 8's with whatever major they want all 9mm, 38 super, 38 spcl or 357M. If you shoot iron it would be 6 shot major, 8 shot minor. Run the dedicated National match 6 round neutral. All other matchs are what ever they are. Let's get the ICORE people shooting with us too. Change is slow---

"They can shoot l-10 and be in the same boat as the 6 vs 8."

This is a poor match up from what I am proposing. In Limited 10 you have to have a minimum of .40 cal. to be allowed to shoot major. So with a 357 you are forced to shoot 8 minor versus autos that can shoot 10 shot major plus the autos faster reloads. You wouldn't have even a remote chance of being competitive.

Why not allow them to shoot major or minor in single stack? That gives them the best match up round wise and it would be a simple modification of SS rules to allow revolvers to compete in this division. I know SS is the holy grail but if it weren't for Gary Stevens and a few other folks we wouldn't have SS. If you make .357 the minimum caliber for major FOR REVOLVERS ONLY then you don't have to worry about hot rodding 9mm variants. I'm sure there will be some .38 Super guys whining about it but the idea is to create a place for 8-shot revolvers to participate on a somewhat level field.

Why not allow them to shoot major or minor in single stack? That gives them the best match up round wise and it would be a simple modification of SS rules to allow revolvers to compete in this division. I know SS is the holy grail but if it weren't for Gary Stevens and a few other folks we wouldn't have SS. If you make .357 the minimum caliber for major FOR REVOLVERS ONLY then you don't have to worry about hot rodding 9mm variants. I'm sure there will be some .38 Super guys whining about it but the idea is to create a place for 8-shot revolvers to participate on a somewhat level field.

I cannot see any reason they would change Single Stack, a popular division, instead of Revolver, which is, at best, poorly attended.

-ld

Just leave REVO alone, 6 shots at a time, we are a small but dedicated crowd, we don't bother anyone, if you have an 8 shot, just shoot it in another division, if you ain't Jerry, Matt or Cliff, you ain't gunna win anyway, so who cares!!!

I'm not trying to change Revolver Division. I'm trying to find a simple rule change that would allow fans of the 627 to use their revolvers to their maximum capability. I have tried conventional 6 shot major USPSA matches. I found it so masochistic that I sold my 625. But 8 majorrevolver against 10 shot auto minor in Production Division sounds fun. I'm trying to change Production Division not Revolver Division.

John Z Sr

I'm sorry you feel you should be left alone-- I just don't want to see the wheel gun go the way of the dinosaurs in USPSA. Also,

I can't wait to see if what you think is true. What about TGO, Shannon and some of the other guys we have never heard of--

I know you'll never change Production, cylindrically challenged but, I would never try and stop a man on a mission :-) good luck

In Single Stack you can compete shooting 10 minor or 8 major. So far all of the big matches have been won by competitors shooting 8 major. But in single stack--major and minor--reloading times are the same. If 8 major revolvers were allowed in production you would have the same match up (8 major vs. 10 minor) but the auto would have a significant advantage of reload speed. Simple change and a lot of fun at the club level.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you really interested in a place to shoot the 8 shot revo or are you just bored and searching for a spoon to stir the pot?

There's a place to do it already.

Is the goal here really to fulfil an unaddressed group of shooters or to compel/force more folks to shoot revo?

Revolver moonclip reloads AREN'T that slow and major IS that big of a factor. You'd destroy the Production division's whole reason for existing.