Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore and Steel Challenge matches

Tom Mainus

Have you thought about getting a real android tablet (Nexus 7, Samsung Something-or-other) to use as the master? I very much prefer the apple platform myself as well, but if you have to keep waiting while the prices for these continues to fall, it might be worth thinking about.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm using a Nexus as my master (and all my stages use a Nexus 7) now but since I already use a iPad for my master in USPSA, it would make sense and simplify it all to do it on one tablet/platform. Besides, the networking api for the iPad is better on my network when I do syncing so I much prefer the iOS as the master than the Android platform.

• 1 month later...

Can ANYONE explain why it is taking so long to get Steel Challenge on Practiscore!!!!

It doesnt seem like it would be that difficult to make it so you can use the established stages or build your own and make it work. This many targets, this many strings, drop the slowest. everything else is already there to compile scores and send them out to the shooters.

With USPSA owning SC you would think they would make it a priority to get this done. Cant be that difficult if someone would just decide to get it done. Seems like we have been told for months/a year that it was "coming soon".

?? I thought it WAS there! (In Android...) Yeah, Steel is already in the android version of practiscore. If you're asking about the iOS version, I have no idea there, but it brings up a point that I think NiftyBytes REALLY needs to take to heart. That is, every feature and every function of practiscore should be available in both the android and iOS versions and (this is just as important if not more so) should operate the same way on both platforms, as much as is absolutely possible. This should be a matter of proper project management to make this happen.

I've been developing a "Steel Scoring" app for iOS, iPad's specifically. We are just about ready to submit it to the Apple App Store. The beta tests went very well this past weekend at Old Bridge. Our app will also have one very cool feature. It can communicate with the Double-Alpha Shotmaxx timer via Bluetooth. That's right, the Last Shot and Number of Shots will go direct into the app, so you won't even have to type in the numbers! Of course, times can still be entered manually. Using the Shotmaxx & iPad combo, will require at least an iPad 2, as the first gen iPad's do not do Bluetooth headset communication. Note that this is primarily for clubs to register, score events and generate the results.

As soon as we hear from Double-Alpha that the new version of the Firmware is about ready, we are going to submit to the App Store. Best of all, thanks to our sponsors, the app will be available for FREE.

So stay tuned...

Steel Challenge is on its way in the Next update as well as some contrast and color improvements for bright sunlight use. There are a ton of game/score variants out there. We are always working on it.

If you need any beta testers let me know. I'd be happy to help.

There is substantial development going on the iOS version of PractiScore. And it is about to be released, with the primary change being full sanctioned Steel Challenge support, as well as better support for IPSC, significant UI changes of readability, and a slew of other modifications. There are also a number of features placed in for Nationals/large matches that we've kept out of the released version til we 'baked' them for a bit (things like score logging and automatic email of scores to shooters as they happen), and one-touch no-esWS needed activity reporting to the USPSA. There is also a full match management system, with even online match e-store, online squadding, simple match management tools, and match e-mail notification/blogging.

I view PractiScore as a tool for making my matches run better, and a lot of that is in the registration and match information systems. So we've been spending some effort there.

I'm not wed to identical function in the two platforms. Most people use one or the other. That said, the current gap is about as far as I'd let it go, and that is about to end. But the reality is that sometimes iOS leads, sometimes Android leads. It depends on the difficulty of the task, the schedule of the developers - since all of this is done as "extra" to our day jobs.

We next intend 100% IPSC support (although the changes there are modest and don't affect the typical match), a couple ways to handle Open squadding, and massive improvement to the score reporting module in the website, and more direct integration with new USPSA website changes, direct integration with 3GN, and direct export to IPSC's winMSS system.

Regards,

Ken N.

Edited by Ken N.

I've been developing a "Steel Scoring" app for iOS, iPad's specifically.

What's the app going to be called so I can be on the lookout for it.

Hey Zack. That is what it's going to be called. :) "Steel Scoring". I'll put a post up here when it hits the App Store so you guys can check it out.

Hey Zack. That is what it's going to be called. :) "Steel Scoring". I'll put a post up here when it hits the App Store so you guys can check it out.

Well duh! Sometimes I overlook the obvious :). I'll be watching for your announcement.

There is substantial development going on the iOS version of PractiScore. And it is about to be released, with the primary change being full sanctioned Steel Challenge support, as well as better support for IPSC, significant UI changes of readability, and a slew of other modifications.

Good to know, Ken. Thanks for the update.

There is substantial development going on the iOS version of PractiScore. And it is about to be released, with the primary change being full sanctioned Steel Challenge support, as well as better support for IPSC, significant UI changes of readability, and a slew of other modifications. There are also a number of features placed in for Nationals/large matches that we've kept out of the released version til we 'baked' them for a bit (things like score logging and automatic email of scores to shooters as they happen), and one-touch no-esWS needed activity reporting to the USPSA. There is also a full match management system, with even online match e-store, online squadding, simple match management tools, and match e-mail notification/blogging. ...

Very cool.

Of course the downside of not having all the same features and functionality in both platforms is that the user has to wonder which practiscore offers what when selecting a platform for their club, and making sure you don't use a feature in your platform#1 stage devices that might not sync over to the platform#2 master device, and vise versa. To me, it just makes marketing sense that if the app is called practiscore and uses the same iconic graphics, it should do all the same things regardless of whether you get it from the app store for ios or google play for "real" android or download the .apk for rooted nooks.

Edited by wgnoyes

Steel Challenge support on iOS was submitted to the app store today. When it is available depends on Apple. We've been seeing 5 day turn around of late on updates, but one never knows with that lot.

Initially it won't have SC activity updates, which we learned about just recently. But we have the specs on it now, and it will be added, first on Android to sort out how it works, then on iOS shortly after.

Regards,

Ken N.

This version will have ezWS activity reporting. We just got the specs on the steel stuff, and Eugene is investigating it for Android first. Once we sort it out, we will put it in iOS.

Longer term, though, the activity integration for both sports will have the USPSA (and 3GN) directly reading the PractiScore data file from the cloud posting. No buttons or anything, other than posting a match result, and indicating it's an activity (and for what sport) on that post.

Ken N.

Thats awesome to hear Ken. Thanks for the update. Have been checking everyday waiting for the update to show up! Is it just going to be the eight standard SC stages or can we build our own with desired number of strings?

Thanks again. Like BlindBat said too, will be nice to be able to do it all on one device (submissions and all).

Edited by danjordan78

Where is it??? Checking everyday as it will really simplify our lives with matches running it on ipads. Had to sneak a different version onto my wifes Kindle and play with it. Will work perfect when it finally gets released. Come on Apple!!!

Where is it??? Checking everyday as it will really simplify our lives with matches running it on ipads. Had to sneak a different version onto my wifes Kindle and play with it. Will work perfect when it finally gets released. Come on Apple!!!

Sorry! I had to developer reject it three days ago because we found a crash on older iOS Devices such as iPod touch and Gen two iPhones. We resubmitted it and if I had to guess, I would expect approval on Wednesday or Thursday. But Apple does as Apple does.

We also took advantage of the resubmission, to make the keypad on smaller devices as large as the entire screen. We had made it larger but we thought of a way to make it ginormas, something of keen interest to me as I approach my 50th year.

Ken N.

Sorry! I had to developer reject it three days ago because we found a crash on older iOS Devices such as iPod touch and Gen two iPhones. We resubmitted it and if I had to guess, I would expect approval on Wednesday or Thursday. But Apple does as Apple does.

I hate to say this but given that numerous classifiers were just retired you may want to pull it again and remove the retired classifiers. I've added a mantis item so you guys will know which ones to pull.

I hate to say this but given that numerous classifiers were just retired you may want to pull it again and remove the retired classifiers. I've added a mantis item so you guys will know which ones to pull.

Right now that won't affect it. Next release, though, if connected it will get classifiers from online database that can be updated without needing to do a new release.

I