Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa max Tactical or Synthetic?

cyprant

So My LGS has a versa max synthetic with 26" barrel. I have been thinking of getting a versa max tactical but those are out of stock every where.

I'm not in a real hurry, but is there any benefit to just getting the synthetic now in 26" vs the tactical 24" barrel?

I am buying to use for 3 gun in a couple of years, trap now, and to replace an 870 I had for HD.

The synthetic comes with 5 chokes vs the tacticals 2.

Plus there's a $100 rebate for the synthetic now...

Help!! I want to go buy this shotgun Today to get the rebate!!

The tactical has a 22" barrel not 24". There seems to be quite a lot of folks running 26" barrels for 3gun, so I do not think it will hinder you. Plus if you buy one of Carbon Arms one piece mag tubes you will have a lot of ammo on tap.

Outside of the mag extension, maybe ad a oversized bolt release and have the lifter welded and I think you will be good to go.

Take care,Stan

The tactical has a 22" barrel not 24". There seems to be quite a lot of folks running 26" barrels for 3gun, so I do not think it will hinder you. Plus if you buy one of Carbon Arms one piece mag tubes you will have a lot of ammo on tap.

Outside of the mag extension, maybe ad a oversized bolt release and have the lifter welded and I think you will be good to go.

Take care,Stan

I got the 26" about a year ago and like it a lot. I have had zero issues with mine. I had C-Rums weld the lifter and added a Nordic mag extension with their clamp and the OS bolt handle. Some have mentioned a impact shift with slugs after removing and replacing the mag extension. That has not happened to me.

I have no issues with mine. Runs great eats anything I feed it.

The only thing I have left to do to it is send it to crums for carrier, loading port, and trigger work.

I originally was set on getting the tactical but there are many reasons I'm gad that I didn't.

The shorter barrel length really limits yu in the round count. With the limited rules allowing you to put more rounds in after the buzzer a longer tube is necessary.

The chokes are nice to not ave to go buy.

The tactical comes with an extension which for out f the box is ok but it isn't what I would consider strong unless you use a clamp which some people say causes slug accuracy issues. With a carbon arms versatube this is all taken care of so that's less money that needs to be spent on the tactical.

I would not buy a sportsman though. The edjustable stock is well worth it. I was shooting very low with the factory setting.

Thanks for taking the time to post that...

What tube do you run?

I run. 26" synthetic with a 11 round carbon arms versatube.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=170978

Pictures of mine are in there. The end caps can be replaced to tweak the round count in necessary. It also solved 2 issues I had with the factory setup, the end cap loosening and the hand gaurd wiggling a bit

• 2 weeks later...

Synthetic is the way to go. You'll wind up doing a lot of the same mods to both so you might as well save the initial gun money and throw it into the goodies. Plus if you ever want to slap the stock parts back on for hunting you're good to go and can run 3.5" shells through it. Personal opinion: I believe for the money and the versa-tility (shotpun) and for the handling, since I like a little more length for the swing, the versamax synthetic 26" is where it's at.

Just for a break down:

Synthetic $1000 when you find a deal (comes with 5 chokes)

Versa tube 11+1: 220

Nordic follower: 20

Welded lifter: 45

Briley Bolt handle: 35

Briley release: 45

Loading port mod: DIY go slow and sand/buff thoroughly

Total: 1365

-100 for rebate

1265 all done

Tactical versa: 1400, if you can find one, with two chokes (one useless)

Cheaper in the long run and you can make it tailored to you

Good analysis, akkid. I think you may have swayed me to the Syn 26".

In the shops, the synthetic 26" is definitely easier to find and more versatile. Anything "tactical" is the "hot ticket" in the marketplace and gets snapped up like crazy. The hunting guns aren't tend to blend all together, get less interest, and have more shelf time.

Edited by DHart

So, if you do not need to adjust the stock fit is there any other reason a $849 26" "Sportsman" would not work? I can add a fiber optic sight for $20 and then an extended tube......extra chokes are cheap.

No I would go sportsman anyway as I'm not a fan Of the rubber stuff in the stock and don't see it as worth the extra cost. With the rules leaning toward 8+1 at start only a lot are running longer guns. I run a 28 inch barrel with 13 rounds for 3 gun. The 21-22 in fun isn't as popular as it once was

Ya, the sportsman works too. Plus that way you can get extended chokes rather than the flush chokes with the extra cash, and if you're a stipple junkie like I am you can do a BA stipple job on that huge forend and grip. All good ways to go.

Also, I'm sure you've heard this before, but, if you can get your mitts on one or the other, if not both, it will greatly help your decision. I thought I wanted a 22" until I fiddled with a 22" slp and then a 28" versa, I immediately realized the extra weight and vent rib helped my shooting. It's not quite as fast on transitions but the bulk and sight length helps me swing through the targets better. But a guy I shoot with, with about 100 extra lbs can blaze with a 22" slp, the thing looks like a toy in his hands. Haha. Personal preference goes a long way.

Seems like if one wanted a double duty as a defense shotgun as well, that the 22" would be ideal. But if for 3-gun almost exclusively, I'd go with the 26", myself. Good compromise in length and weight. A mag tube full of 8 or 10 shells, hanging out in front adds a considerable amount of weight, slows down muzzle swing, and can be especially cumbersome in the close quarters of a home. I can see the capacity advantage in "timing" for 3-gun, but a disadvantage in maneuverability for "real-life" purposes.

3-gun appeals to me as a testing ground and practice facility for personal defense applications. Personally, I happen to be less interested in the competitive aspect of it all.

Given that, do you think that it would it be wise to stick with 22"?

Edited by DHart