Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I use same run to classify SSP & ESP

HiccaBurp

I'm using a Glock 17 in SSP right now. When I go to classify in SSP, can I just use the same score to classify in ESP? I understand the same run might put me in MM in one devision, and SS in another. Or do I need to do separate runs? Even if they are on the same day?

Why? If I do want to upgrade something later that puts in ESP, then I'm set for then. In our area.. most classifiers are early in the season.. trying to find one later not so easy.

Thanks!

Im pretty sure you will need to run the classifier twice. one for SSP and one for ESP. If you do not plan on making any changes to the gun, you might be able to convince the MD to let you shoot one classifier count for both given the lack of ammo availability but i would plan on two.

what division do you plan on running for the season? I would just pick one, classify for that division and go from there.

I don't plan on making changes yet to the SSP legal G 17 yet. I was going to get a couple of things to try out tho. And if I did like it.. just wanted to be classified already. Oh well.. I guess I'll sign up for two classifiers!

Rule book page 72:

When

shooting the classifier for different divisions, you must shoot a

separate classification match for each division you wish to

compete in, even if you use the same gun.

Edited by Jane

Rule book page 72:

When

shooting the classifier for different divisions, you must shoot a

separate classification match for each division you wish to

compete in, even if you use the same gun.

Thank you!!!

• 10 months later...

Actually. See: 9.3. This may be a change with the new rule book.

9.3. One Classifier Score Applied To Multiple Divisions
9.3.1. The score attained by shooting the Classifier can be applied to other divisions where the equipment
and ammunition used while shooting the Classifier meets the requirements of those other divisions. The
shooter must notify the MD before the Classifier begins of the intent to apply a single score to multiple
divisions and the MD must verify that the equipment and ammunition meet the requirements for multiple
divisions.
9.3.2. Examples: SSP score applied to ESP, CDP score applied to SSP and ESP, ESR score applied to SSR.
9.3.3. Classifications attained in this manner are applicable to five firearm awards.

• 1 month later...

The current RB allows a shooter who has a gun that is legal in more than one division to apply one Classifier score to those divisions. The OP mentioned a G17. That is a legal arm for both SSP and ESP, and one Classifier can be applied to both. BUT, you must state your intention to the MD BEFORE you shoot the Classifier. You can't shoot a good score and decide to go multi-division. You must state your intent in advance of the first shot fired.

GOF

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say it depends on how nice your SO/MD/AC w/e is. They submit the scores so it's kinda up to them. I've seen guys do a classifier with a SSP gun and when the score comes in they decide to go ESP. Don't see a problem with that.

I always shot the classifier with a G21 and major power factor applied to SSP, ESP and CDP. I hate wasting ammo for an excercise that has nothing to do with matches.

Classifier can be a match... But yeah why not game it a bit?

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You must live in a very small neighborhood. The "rest of the World" seems to operate a bit differently. Try getting out into a bigger neighborhood and see how things actually work.

I saw illegal stages, Rule Book ignored, at the 2011 World Championship, and have heard about others at the S&W Indoor Nationals, and other major sanctioned matches.

As for local club matches?... he RB is the last thought in their mind when they put on a 'fun match' for their shooters.

You must live in a very small neighborhood. The "rest of the World" seems to operate a bit differently. Try getting out into a bigger neighborhood and see how things actually work.

I saw illegal stages, Rule Book ignored, at the 2011 World Championship, and have heard about others at the S&W Indoor Nationals, and other major sanctioned matches.

As for local club matches?... he RB is the last thought in their mind when they put on a 'fun match' for their shooters.

Well, considering I won 1st place trophies in 3 different state championships in 2014, I'd say I get out of my neighborhood now and then. :)

The vast majority of clubs I've shot at seem to try their best to follow the rule book at matches that they advertise as IDPA matches.

BTW, that was first-hand experience...THIS year.

Edited by BillR1

And those State Championships were.....?

I got SSR/SS wins at the Michigan, AZ and NM state championships, and an SSR DC at my last sanctioned match here in AZ. This was just in 2014.

I DO get out of town once in awhile. :)