Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Upper for Home

tohm

Probably a little off topic, however a lot of practical experience here. I have a project of putting a spare upper together for a short range vermin control device. The range < 250 yds. I have a 16" upper with a low profile gas block and a vtac 2" handgurard rifle length. I was thinking of putting on flip up sights but was told that is not a very accurate deal on the hand guard. That said what would be a good way to go here? My thoughts are because low light, short range and cold weather irons are quick and RELIABLE not very big targets and i don't want to miss. I will probably mount a light and laser just because. Any recommendations or suggestions sights, hand guard, gas block set up?

Tom

Mid length gas tube

Edited by tohm

The VTac handguard has a little movement to it but for what you're trying to do it should be fine. Just don't sling up like a highpower competitor or breaker bar it into a position.

I'd put a dot or EOTech on and it's moot since irons would be for backup only.

Tom, sounds like the gas block and tube are fine for what you want to do. I would recommend a simple, quality, always on red dot or 1x and a quality light (surefire or similar). Add a laser if you want it. I have a similar set up, but use my 1-4 trijicon just set up for 1x. Don't need back ups, since if that thing dies I am up S creek so bad it won't matter, or I can point shoot inside 25 yards.

You can always slap some back up irons or whatever on to make you happy, they will be fine for your work