Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practiscore on Nook Simple Touch for Dummies

Graham Smith

That is correct. When you initiate a sync, you are reaching out to grab scores from another device and bring it into yours. It is not a 2-way street. If you have two devices and want them to match exactly, you manually sync from A to B, and then sync again from B to A.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought it might be based on IP or something. Not really that big a deal, just another part of the setup routine. I'm going to power everything down and set it back up tomorrow and see what changes.

FYI...I update the firmware (v1.1.1 to v1.1.3) in my pocket router (Dlink DAP-1350 that Ken recommended) and the new firmware allowed me to setup static IP addresses by entering DHCP reservations on the network setup page. Now when my Nooks boot up, they get the same IP address and the same sync code in Practiscore.

I'm going to try that with the 11 Nooks we have, could make life easier as I too use the D-Link router.

I thought it might be based on IP or something. Not really that big a deal, just another part of the setup routine. I'm going to power everything down and set it back up tomorrow and see what changes.

FYI...I update the firmware (v1.1.1 to v1.1.3) in my pocket router (Dlink DAP-1350 that Ken recommended) and the new firmware allowed me to setup static IP addresses by entering DHCP reservations on the network setup page. Now when my Nooks boot up, they get the same IP address and the same sync code in Practiscore.

I'm going to try that with the 11 Nooks we have, could make life easier as I too use the D-Link router.

FYI...When my pocket router (Dlink DAP-1350) was on v1.1.1, I could enter the static IPs and MAC addresses into the router, but it would not save correctly. Now that I updated the firmware to 1.1.3, it saves correctly and actually works now.

FYI...When my pocket router (Dlink DAP-1350) was on v1.1.1, I could enter the static IPs and MAC addresses into the router, but it would not save correctly. Now that I updated the firmware to 1.1.3, it saves correctly and actually works now.

Thanks, I made sure to update the firmware first.

• 1 month later...

What happened to the part of this post labeled "for dummies"? I just bought 4 new Nooks and want to get them ready to use in our next monthly match, this post isn't really helping. Anybody have a singular ste of instructions or just read every thread and put it together myself? Down on R&R and thought I would try to get this done in a day.

Thanks, back to S store for SD card. Shouldn't you be out shooting?............ So it is now the afternoon and all four are loaded, thanks wgnoyes. Now to figure out what they can do. Any suggestions?

Edited by chaosshooter00

Play with them. I highly recommend also having an apple iOS device (iphone, ipad, ipod touch) with the ios version of practiscore installed to use as a master device. The apple version has the very distinct advantage of being able to reach out over the wireless network and locate all your nooks when you're in the synch tab, so that you can pull in scores from your stages with a minimum of hassle. Trying to synch INTO a nook, however, you'll have to put in the device code for each one, which is available at the bottom of the screen. That's a hassle. Also you should give a unique name to each of your nooks. "Android Device" is useless when you're at the range and you see 4 of them; you don't know which one is which.

Play with them. I highly recommend also having an apple iOS device (iphone, ipad, ipod touch) with the ios version of practiscore installed to use as a master device. The apple version has the very distinct advantage of being able to reach out over the wireless network and locate all your nooks when you're in the synch tab, so that you can pull in scores from your stages with a minimum of hassle. Trying to synch INTO a nook, however, you'll have to put in the device code for each one, which is available at the bottom of the screen. That's a hassle. Also you should give a unique name to each of your nooks. "Android Device" is useless when you're at the range and you see 4 of them; you don't know which one is which.

No dice on the iOS device, yet. How would you recommend running them without? We are probably only going to use 2 or 3 at a time, does that make a difference? Is there another thread you would suggest that covers getting them running and use or just get it on? Thanks

Well the main difference is that you'll have to put in a device code when you want to synch from one to the other. I'm not sure how you're going to get a match INTO the nook from ezws without an ios device, but Mark Kauder might be doing it, or someone will chime in and say how.

Chris Wren (I'd forgotten about this) has a whole detailed write-up on match scoring with practiscore. http://www.tinymicros.com/wiki/Match_Scoring_With_Practiscore

We had something strange happen yesterday.

We lost 2 string time boxes.

Checked all the setups (ipad) the night before, got everyone entered and squadded again on the ipad.

Synced Nooks but when the squad with 3 strings pulled up the stage it only had one string.

Easy fix on the fly and I forgot to check my ipad before I pulled scores back.

Going to set up a fake stage tonight (time permitting) and see if it was a one off glitch or what.

Anyone else had any issue with mulitple strings from ipad to nook?

I can't reproduce it. I created a test match on an iPhone with a single 3-string virginia count stage, registered a competitor for it, and synched that match to a nook. It came over with all 3 text boxes for the times ready to accept numbers.

Well the main difference is that you'll have to put in a device code when you want to synch from one to the other. I'm not sure how you're going to get a match INTO the nook from ezws without an ios device, but Mark Kauder might be doing it, or someone will chime in and say how.

Chris Wren (I'd forgotten about this) has a whole detailed write-up on match scoring with practiscore. http://www.tinymicros.com/wiki/Match_Scoring_With_Practiscore

I've been using EZwin to register, squad and build stages. I convert the database to a .psc file using the EZWS2PS.exe utility.

I then transfer the file to the 1st nook using an app called "Wifi File Transfer". Import the .psc file into practiscore and then sync the rest of the nooks.

has worked great so far.

I then use the Practiscore App Exporter to get get the scores from each nook back into EZwin at the end of the match.

Good luck.

Steve

I've been using EZwin to register, squad and build stages. I convert the database to a .psc file using the EZWS2PS.exe utility.

I then transfer the file to the 1st nook using an app called "Wifi File Transfer". Import the .psc file into practiscore and then sync the rest of the nooks.

has worked great so far.

I then use the Practiscore App Exporter to get get the scores from each nook back into EZwin at the end of the match.

Good luck.

Steve

We do the same thing except we simply plug the nook into the computer and transfer the file over USB. That is one major advantage Nook's have over IOS. No iTunes.

has worked great so far.

Good luck.

Steve

We do the same thing except we simply plug the nook into the computer and transfer the file over USB. That is one major advantage Nook's have over IOS. No iTunes.

Our first club match I had Practiscore e-mail me the files and then imported them into EZWin that way. Our match last weekend I moved the files around using the Google Drive app on my iPad, functionally the same thing but it seemed easier ;)

Where in the nook file structure do you put the created .psc file, and then how to you get to it from practiscore?

Typically you just put in the /sdcard directory, which is the directory that shows up as the drive letter in Windoze.

Then in PS, you go to the Sync tab, 'Import Match', navigate to the /sdcard directory (if you're not already there), select the match to import, and tap the 'OK' or 'Select' button.

The apple version has the very distinct advantage of being able to reach out over the wireless network and locate all your nooks when you're in the synch tab, so that you can pull in scores from your stages with a minimum of hassle.

You apparently have the magic touch because no matter what I do, my iPod and iPad do not "remember" if things get out of range of the wifi router. And the Nooks usually have to be fiddled with to get them to reconnect.

Now, if you have a wifi network that covers the entire range, that may be a different story.

My nooks reconnect by themselves whenever they drop signal and then pick it up again. Happens all the time. Same with the ios devices, though there are only 1 or 2 of those, and they're the masters, located literally right next to the wireless router. (Still waiting for South River to install range-wide wifi with internet.) I'm currently using the graphical nook manager rooting package, but was using Chris Wren's setup before. Both worked fine in this regard.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I need some help. Got nooks rooted this weekend. Going to try it on a couple squads at the Rockcastle match this coming weekend. I am not a computer tech person at all, so this may be a stupid question. How do I get the master database into the nooks for registration on the fly if some one is late? I am using my ipad as the master and have the master registration downloaded to it.

Thanks for you help. I am the one that buys all those books for dummies to learn.

Sue