Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Little help here

Iggy42

So in my searching for an AR I can afford with the current market I came across Ruger's AR platform. Anyone have any experience with them? Good, bad or indifferent?

I am also looking for anyone that has experience with Doublestar's 3GR and Rock Rivers 3-gun rifle (Lar-15 R3 I think). Plus if anyone knows of someplace that has them in stock. I would rather have a JP, but they are out of my budget.

I'll be honest I am looking for (and yes I know I have asked before) information on a good "beginner" 3-gun rifle. I am not expecting JP level of good, but I don't want to waste my money either. Please keep in mind that my budget is around 1800 including optic (might be able to stretch higher, waiting for some final bills to come in first)

I have a Del-Ton that I paid 700 for and I've shot plenty of rounds downrange with my buddies S&W sport that goes for $750 right now in your area (at least in Virginia when I was there last week). For 3 gun they are plenty accurate. I've shot both with Iron sights out to 200 yards with consistency and I've shot out to 100 with this optic making ragged holes all day long. http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Trophy-TRS-25-1xRed-Riflescope/dp/B00200E0HM/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1364048354&sr=1-2&keywords=ts-25 They can be had for closer to $70 when on sale. I actually think mine was closer to $50 when I bought it, but I waited till I found a good deal.

For 3 gun I've never understood the need for all the high end match parts. My AR is the consistently the best part of my score just using bargain bin parts and ammo.

Considering I have never shot an AR I have to admit I can't justify going top notch, hence why I am looking for a "beginner" 3-gun rifle. I am really interested in the Doublestar or RRA ones but the silence I have been getting does say something. I should add that it doesn't have to be a "3-gun ready" model. Would be nice, but at this point I just want an AR that I can get into 3-gun with and goes bang every time be I using 55gr. or better match quality stuff. I did find a Doublestar Constant Carry Carbine recently at non price gouged price, but I am clueless as to how well they guns are in general, same goes for RRA. I used to work with an ex-member of the Capital police and he loved the RRA they issued him, but I have heard others that have had problems.

I have found a few Rugers on Gunbroker for a reasonable price, but I really want my pennies to go into something that is going to last me well for a few years. After all I can always upgrade as long as the base unit is sound. May not be ideal, but hey I need to get a rifle, shotgun, a concealed carry piece (Government 1911 just a bit big for me) and a STI Edge yet. Plus all the extra bits, you know mags, optic, pouches, etc etc etc

Edited by Iggy42

I have been happy with my RRA's they have been accurate and functioned well. That said I prefer my BCM builds and my JP rifle. You may be better off buying a better base to work with with less accessories and then making changes as you see fit rather than buying a lower end rifle with some flashy version of their take on what is popular. Not that this is cheaper but you end up with the rifle you want as opposed to buying a 3G version then changing out parts as time goes on.

The Doublestar 3G rifle is about as good a starting point as you can get for an "affordable" TO rifle. I have far more money in other rifles that are basically the same configuration and not appreciably better. DSC listened to what experienced shooters wanted, and then constructed a rifle that had those basic components. If you want to tweak it, you can personalize it and not ever need to "upgrade". BUDS might have them in stock. They carry a lot of Doublestar product.

The Doublestar 3G rifle is about as good a starting point as you can get for an "affordable" TO rifle. I have far more money in other rifles that are basically the same configuration and not appreciably better. DSC listened to what experienced shooters wanted, and then constructed a rifle that had those basic components. If you want to tweak it, you can personalize it and not ever need to "upgrade". BUDS might have them in stock. They carry a lot of Doublestar product.

Sadly no, I am yet to find anyone that stocks the Doublestar 3GR (or the RRA for that matter, I did find someone willing to order the RRA but if I am going to wait a year for a rifle then I am going to make it something worth the wait). They did have a constant carry carbine that I was eyeballing, but I just figure I will be doing to much after the fact to make it worth it.