Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Follow Issues....Need ideas

entropic

I recently put a new koenigg hammer, s-7 sear, and colt sear spring into my old series-one Kimber. Now, all of the sudden, I'm getting hammer follow and I had a double at a match last weekend. I'm looking for ideas on what to look for as a cause for this. Something tells me (just based on logic, nothing i've noticed) that there is an issue with the disconector. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks much,

Dave

Not to be a wise arse, but the cause of the hammer follow is:

I recently put a new koenigg hammer, s-7 sear, and colt sear spring into my old series-one Kimber.

So called "drop in" hammer/sear sets often are NOT (drop in), they have to be fitted. If you look at the tip of the sear, you will likely see the double cut on the face. The "main" cut is pretty narrow and you don't have to get the spacing and/or angles wrong by much to get hammer follow.

The posts following mine will likely say try bending the sear spring.... and you can try that, but that is frequently a band aid fix for a fundamental problem of incorrect sear/hammer fit.

IMHO, any 1911 that "double fires" has a condition dangerous enough to warrant a gunsmith review.

Edited by bountyhunter

The main cut or front face of the sear takes up 3/4+ of the sear nose. There should be plenty of sear to engage in the hooks.....

I'll take a look to make sure but I'm pretty sure there is plenty of engagement.

You can not tell just by looking, you need to take a measurement. Most gunsmiths will not take the hooks down any shorter than .020 but some go to .018. If it is shorter than that it could cause follow, not to mention squaring the hooks and the sear relief cut. Maybe the disconnector was installed incorrectly? Those parts need to be fitted and properly tuned for safe and optimum operation. If you have never done a trigger job I would take it to a smith.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Thanks for the ideas guys, but I think I figured it out with the help of one Mr. J. Kuhnhausen. He describes a problem on page 147 or volume 1 of his shop manual that he calls "sear bind" caused by an adjustable trigger with the overtravel screw all the way out....well it turns out that my overtravel screw was all the way out (probably from the last cleaning the gun got). I would have never thought too much overtravel could be an issue, but I was wrong.

One sign or this issue was that while holding the trigger down, slide forward/hammer down, and slowly pulling the slide back, I could feel the disconnector disengage from the sear through the trigger. I did nothing but adjust the overtravel screw and now even a hard slingshot will not make the hammer follow.

Edited by entropic