Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Aimpoint?

Nemesis Lead

I have an Aimpoint T1 which I love and a friend has offered me an Aimpoint M4 at a really good price.

The price is so good that I will probably get the M4 in any case, but I was wondering....for those who have experience with both red dots, which do you prefer for 3 gun and why?

I have an Aimpoint T1 which I love and a friend has offered me an Aimpoint M4 at a really good price.

The price is so good that I will probably get the M4 in any case, but I was wondering....for those who have experience with both red dots, which do you prefer for 3 gun and why?

Not a big fan of dots for three gun. But both of those optics are good service optics. I prefer the T1 due to the lighter weight. It will do every thing the larger M4 will do with less weight. I have owned both. The only advantage to the M4 is a larger field of view inside the optic which pays off for shooting from akward positions.

Pat

I agree with popo. For 3gun the weight savings of the T1 is a big benefit. If it was a combat gun I'd go with the m4.

I go the other way - I prefer the bigger FOV of the 30mm tube. I run a ML3 with 2MOA dot. With the overall weight of my 3-Gun rifle, the weight difference between the two optics is immaterial IMHO.

Steathly has a point as well lol. My rifle is a tank lol so the weight wouldn't matter. However if I was building a dedicated gun that didn't have to also pull multiple roles I would go light. For 3gun I'd still go with the T1 it is slimmer and not going to get in your way. I am running a ML3 on my backup gun and would like to switch to a T1 one day.

I prefer the larger tubes with the 2moa dot. My Micro just sits in the safe while I use the M4 and EOTechs. I really wanted to like it, it wasn't cheap. But the FOV is so much better on the larger tubes I was faster. It's not that the micro covers up so much, just that what it's covering up is so close to the target I'm shooting, or transitioning on to. If I had to carry my gear up a mountain I might re-evaluate.

For 3-Gun I think the EOTech models with 2 dots are the way to go, just my opinion.

One thing you can do to increase field of view with the Micro's is move them all the way back as close to your eye as possible.

Pat

True, it increases the fov in the glass but then the body blocks more from view. I'm not saying it's an unworkable optic, just that I didn't like it as much as I'd hoped I would, or as much as I like the M3 and M4.

I have a PRO on my other AR. Due to some funky vision causing a bit of blurriness I am very glad that I have the 2 MOA dot. The 4 MOA would be fast for close up but gives up precision for sure.

Even a PRO with its QRP mount is half the weight of a 1-4 variable and mount. I also prefer the larger tube and do not feel it is a handicap.

I removed my T1 and mounted it on my Open STI major 9.

I use the M4 because of the larger FOV, and i feel that the 4 tiny scews that mounts the T1 just gets me wondering "what if i drop my rifle or hit a barricade"..I have a lightweight barrel anyways. ...

I removed my T1 and mounted it on my Open STI major 9.

I use the M4 because of the larger FOV, and i feel that the 4 tiny scews that mounts the T1 just gets me wondering "what if i drop my rifle or hit a barricade"..I have a lightweight barrel anyways. ...

Umm they have dropped these things from the back of moving trucks in military testing and they have held their zero and functioned fine. Your not going to hurt a Micro Aimpoint on a wooden barricade they are military tough.

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

Take a look and let any of your fears about durability vanish.

Edited by Alaskapopo

I agree with popo. For 3gun the weight savings of the T1 is a big benefit. If it was a combat gun I'd go with the m4.

I go the other way - I prefer the bigger FOV of the 30mm tube. I run a ML3 with 2MOA dot. With the overall weight of my 3-Gun rifle, the weight difference between the two optics is immaterial IMHO.

I agree with this.

Put both on the timer against each other and the difference was negligible as well. I was actually faster on target off the beep with the M4S, but was a touch faster on target transition splits with the T1.

Regardless, I'm a fan of the 2MOA, whichever actual housing you pursue.

I have a m4 and it worked great for me when I had to clear three plate racks at a moderate distance. Sorry I don't remember exactly how far. But when the long shots came up I had a hard time. I still managed to hit the targets at 300 yards but I feel like I would have done so much better with a 1x4. I had a heck of a time trying to clear the Texas start at roughly 125 yards. If its a GREAT price I'd say pick it up for a back up but I'm me personal preference I'm getting something different with magnification. Good luck

I have a m4 and it worked great for me when I had to clear three plate racks at a moderate distance. Sorry I don't remember exactly how far. But when the long shots came up I had a hard time. I still managed to hit the targets at 300 yards but I feel like I would have done so much better with a 1x4. I had a heck of a time trying to clear the Texas start at roughly 125 yards. If its a GREAT price I'd say pick it up for a back up but I'm me personal preference I'm getting something different with magnification. Good luck

Indeed, a magnified optic is always going to be easier to use on distant targets. The point of the red dot is that it is Limited-legal. Having just shot SMM3G and getting through the prize table in 15 minutes (versus 1 hour+ for the Tac Scope folks), I can attest to the attraction of Limited division. I also like how the Aimpoints are ultra-robust compares with the non-military magnified optics; I never have to second-guess my zero - if I'm missing I know it is me.

If you go m4 though I do believe they make a 3x FTS magnification. I've been meanin to look into it more and ill shoot you the link if I find it.

Yeah, don't do this. If you want magnification, get a conventional low power zoom scope.

Edited by StealthyBlagga