Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Children making gun threats

NOTHING BAD HAPPENED

I have always watched these stories on the news and thought people were over reacting by suspending kids for drawing gun pictures in school etc but then this happened. My wife drives a school bus and a 6 year old kid told another kid he had a gun in his backpack and he was going to kill him for picking on him. My wife turned the kid in to school authorities. The parent called her at home and said she was being paranoid and making a big deal out of something so trivial.

We feel the liability is just too great to let something like this go unattended. I told her she did the right thing. I also told her the kids dad needed to wake up and figure out where his son got the idea to say something like that.

I think there is a huge difference between drawing a picture of a gun and actually saying you have one and plan to use it. Sadly, even if you are only 6 years old.

So are we paranoid? Overly Cautious? Or just showing due diligence?

A picture is a picture could be art or something they like to do, a threat is a threat and should be dealt with as such. I think the difference is clear and it sounds like your wife did the right thing and the kids parents should thank her for alerting them to the troubling behavior.

So are we paranoid? No, Overly Cautious? No, Or just showing due diligence? YES

Mike

No such thing as being over cautious when it comes to our children's safety. I have a 4 year old and another on the way, I can only hope my children's bus driver is as over cautious as your wife. Its disturbing that a 6 year old would make such threats. Makes you wonder what happens in there home. It would be nice if parents would take more responsibility in raising and guiding there children. You should be proud of your wife.

Ron

A picture is a picture could be art or something they like to do, a threat is a threat and should be dealt with as such. I think the difference is clear and it sounds like your wife did the right thing and the kids parents should thank her for alerting them to the troubling behavior.

So are we paranoid? No, Overly Cautious? No, Or just showing due diligence? YES

Mike

+1

I am thinking the problem is not 'gun.' The problem is stated threat.

when I was in school I was on the receiving end of quite a few threats.

what I found was that reporting them was not effective.

If the school policy is to take ANy threat of bodily harm and react the same

as with a threat with 'gun' in it, I will agree the policy is good.

Otherwise and it is an overreaction.

In this case I am thinking the threat was defensive ( who was picking on whom?)

and the other kid needs to catch some punishment.

Allowing any bullying will cause these situations.

In my case I learned to back my standing up with enough knuckle work

to visit the principle...

:-) you may only threaten legal prosecution, and give them a court.

teach law and let the kids run the court.

miranda

ETA:

when a threat inclues a weapon like knife or large screwdriver

is has to be reported. that is how our society has decided to handle it.

Edited by Miranda

I think you need to deal with any threat however these day there seems to be a trend toward prosecuting kids for being stupid.

If I was the principal, I would have confiscated the kids bag, called the parents and told them to get their asses to the school NOW. No need to lock down the school or call the police.

My wife drives a school bus and a 6 year old kid told another kid he had a gun in his backpack and he was going to kill him for picking on him. My wife turned the kid in to school authorities.

Sounds like both kids need to be investigated. Might be a bully and another kid just standing up for himself.

"In this case I am thinking the threat was defensive ( who was picking on whom?)

and the other kid needs to catch some punishment.

Allowing any bullying will cause these situations."

+1

If the other kid was picking on/bullying the one who made the threat then he needs to catch a whole bunch of heat along with his parents, too. My younger son had a similar incident occur while he was a senior in high school and although he didn't make a threat about a gun he did react to the bullying in a manner which initially brought all kinds of consequences down on his head until other students who witnessed the incident and the prior bullying spoke up and informed the school officials about "the whole story." To their credit, said school officials completely reversed the consequences on to the perpetrators, although my older (and completely too cynical for his own good) son who'd attended the same school commented that said school officials were acting mostly to head off any lawsuit that we might have brought as the school and BOE had instituted a zero tolerance bullying policy.

Guys, trust me, kids don't get away with much on my wife's bus. The story is that the other kid is actually a little girl who called the little boy some kind of name. When he was asked why he did it he said she called me a name. When he asked what she called him he said he didn't know. LOL These are 6 year old first graders not high schooler's being bullied. If you think about it seems like high schoolers tend to grab guns these days when they get bullied. If you nip it in the bud in first grade maybe, just maybe, you prevent something down the road. My wife did a very thorough report and turned it in to school admin. She included the part about being called names and who said what. I was merely pointing out that a small child made a threat that is way out of the norm for a 6 year old. I mean, an adult can be arrested for threatening to shoot somebody.

Anyway, the sanity check is complete and she is happy with her decision.

My wife drives a school bus and a 6 year old kid told another kid he had a gun in his backpack and he was going to kill him for picking on him. My wife turned the kid in to school authorities.

Sounds like both kids need to be investigated. Might be a bully and another kid just standing up for himself.

Or kids being kids. I still have correspondence between my dad and one of his colleagues that ensued when I at age 5 or 6 apparently scared the 5 or 6 year old daughter of my dad's colleague.....

I certainly didn't mean to scare her, but I did.....

I didn't realize that it could be scary; she didn't realize that I was just a little boy playing pretend....

Kids being kids -- of course since it was the 1970s, and occurred on an academic campus, two professors wrote each other a series of letters, some quite long, and spent some time talking to their kids.....

I think we all grew up without lasting emotional scars....

All that said -- I'm glad our parents stepped in 40 years ago, and I'm glad your wife said something, Kevin.