Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Magwell install and grips as well.

Robert King

I have several questions about making some changes to a 1911. In this case, I am looking at doing these changes to both a Spartan 5" 9mm and Trojan 5" 45acp.

I would like to add a magwell and have decided I would like to use the STI. I am going to want to install VZ Slim Operator grips at the same time. I see STI sells both the magwell alone and the magwell in combination with a MSH. What is the process to install, is fitting required and how difficult is it? Should I be looking at just the magwell or the combo with the MSH? I want to go with the thin grips but wide magwell.

When installing VZ slim grips, do I need to change out bushings in grip? When I order VZ slim grips, will they fit with a STI magwell or will they need to be modified?

What is the process and difficulty level of installing an STI ambi safety in a Spartan or Trojan?

Fitting a magwell depends on the gun, but generally will be an easy fit. I've had MSH's that just fit right in, and others like my Dawson ICE that I had to spend some time filing and sanding to get it to fit in my Spartan. So...you may or may not have to "fit" the MSH. That said, replacing the MSH is up to you, I prefer metal.

Like Eku said, when using thin grips, you'll need to replace the bushings and screws. I recommend and use Harrison. http://shop.harrisoncustom.com/hd-317-slim-line-screw-and-bushing-set-blue

The grips should fit with the magwell, as long as you order the grips correctly. You need to have them cut to fit with a magwell (flat bottom, no bevel).

Changing out the MSH is fairly easy, just tape ur grip safety down, pop the pin at the bottom out and slide it out, take the mainspring and plungers out of ur old, put it in ur new, push the new MSH in if it fits closure and the holes line up, put the pin back in. If not take a file to it little by little until it fits and you are good to go