Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How will a thumb rest change the recoil spring

bill87123

Fixing to add a thumb rest to my Caspian open gun and wondering how it will effect the recoil spring? Almost seems as if you may have to go down in spring weight to keep the slide from dipping the muzzle as it closes.

I guess it depends on how hard you press down on the thumb rest and running to light of a spring could affect reliability. When I used a thumb rest on my open pistol I used more to find my perfect weak hand grip easier, not really for recoil control.

Edited by Roy Hess

Sandman,

Depending on the thumbrest being used, It definately can help from touching against the slide. But like the others have said, may be the first thing is to focus on your grip. See what will work for you that keeps that site picture from coming off the target when you squeeze the trigger. The recoil spring would be something to address later on if it became an issue . Play around with your grip, and find out what feels the best for you, than go from there.

does the thumb rest help from pushing against the slide?

My addition of the thumb rest was to give a consistent position on the gun to place the thumb. The GasPedal I have shields the thumb from the slide so you can't push against the slide.

You should not push against the thumb rest as this will cause you to steer the gun in recoil.

No change in recoil spring necessary, which is nice because you won't have to change it again when you decide to throw it in the scrap pile.

I ran them for a couple of years, and made M and GM shortly after taking them off. The more consistent tracking of the gun was obvious after just a few hundred rounds without the rest.

No change in recoil spring necessary, which is nice because you won't have to change it again when you decide to throw it in the scrap pile.

I ran them for a couple of years, and made M and GM shortly after taking them off. The more consistent tracking of the gun was obvious after just a few hundred rounds without the rest.

I am with you on this... I think. still undecided but leaning toward no thumb rest.

I have a thumb rest on my primary open gun and use it for the sole purpose of getting the same grip every time. My backup gun does not have one yet (unable to find one the same as that on the primary gun), but will put one on soon.

Using the same loads requires the same recoil springs.

Once you get used to a thumb rest, its tough to do without.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

• 1 month later...

Sorry its been so long since I got back in here. Got the thumb rest on and as mentioned there was no need to change the recoil spring. The gun returned to position and stayed flat just as before. I have only shot the gun a couple of times but so far I am really liking the way it feels.