Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camera via USB to Mac

ErikW

Well as you can see from my new pictures in the Gallery, I'm up and running with the camera. Thanks to BerKim (and eerw), I got the driver software that mounts the camera as a volume and lets me drag the files to my hard disk. The software lets me choose camera mode or card reader mode. Several 1600 x whatever pictures took less than half a minute to copy.

You guys rule!

• 1 month later...

Hell, eerw even sent me two card readers, gratis. I'll keep the USB reader but I can't use the FireWire one. So I'll pass it on to someone who can use it or send it back to eerw.

P.S. Camera batteries were dead on today's motorcycle ride. :(

• 3 weeks later...

That’s right Vince, they are complicating things by not using modern OS’s (XP and OSX under the hood are not even 20 years old so they are really still just teenagers).

Mac OSX, iPhoto, Any camera, any media format, end of story. Eric, please get a processor that can run X and I will send you a pre-configured build just so I/we don’t have to keep hearing about your need to find drivers written by folks no longer at companies that no longer exist ;-)

I do feel your pain though, I have clients that still run machines in 7, 8 & 9 so I have to remember those occasionally :-(

--

Regards,

Hey Erik,

Here’s a reconditioned (with 90dy warranty) 350 Mhz G3 Yikes mini-tower with 320MB RAM, 30GB HD and CD-ROM for $399 at PowerMax. Similar, or better deals can be found. Mini-towers from this era are real chuggers and they will typically run for a long time if they run in the first place. Replacement parts and upgrade stuff can be had real cheap.

A machine with this level of hardware will run OSX very reliably on an extended basis. I have several clients running always on systems based on these era towers. Similar age CRT iMacs with 20gb drives with 256 MB RAM can also be had $299-350 and they might just have a DVD-ROM, or CD burner. They are very reliable long term also.

http://www.powermax.com/cgi-global/generat....cgi?p=c-u56651

Toss your existing monitor on it along with a custom X build and you will never look back. Guaranteed.

I can set you up a full featured X build that takes up maybe 4-5 Gb and on a 20+ GB drive that leaves a lot of room to grow. With the USB and FireWire ports these machines have, connectivity with the modern world will increase measurably.

PC-100 RAM and ATA 100 Drives are real cheap and just drop into the Yosemite through AGP towers (2 drive max without another controller card). For about $500 total, you could outfit one of those $399 Yosemite’s with an extra 60GB HD and 512 MB RAM, Yeowza, that’s gonna scream with the new OS compared to what you are running now. And reliability will be an order of magnitude better (no BS here).

If you can find on of the 500Mhz DP G4 AGP‘s they made for a while, the dual processor will make it faster than a brand new 2004 PowerBook G4 is, and just as fast as the 1.2 and 1.4 Ghz Quicksilver single processor G4’s are. These can sometimes be found with 60GB HD’s and 256 MB RAM (Std sell config back then) for 550-650 smackers. They are known for reliability, and they are easy to change out drives, power supplies and other components on when the time comes. Heck, I’ve got extra junk for this series of machine coming out the kazoo.

--

Regards,

Edited by George