Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD Tactical 9mm went single shot this weekend

chaosshooter00

I have a XD Tactical 9mm that was built by a GM shooter for production. I use it for 3gun fun. How do I figure out who's trigger is in it? Doesn't seem to have any markings or anything, but it breaks clean at around 2#. This weekend I was having to manually reset it, ie., shoot Alpha, toggle trigger, acquire target, shoot Alpha, repeat. Took as long to type it as it did to shoot it. I just need to fix it, if it will require too much money, I'll sell it and go back to 1911's. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

I have a XD Tactical 9mm that was built by a GM shooter for production. I use it for 3gun fun. How do I figure out who's trigger is in it? Doesn't seem to have any markings or anything, but it breaks clean at around 2#. This weekend I was having to manually reset it, ie., shoot Alpha, toggle trigger, acquire target, shoot Alpha, repeat. Took as long to type it as it did to shoot it. I just need to fix it, if it will require too much money, I'll sell it and go back to 1911's. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

So you would pull the trigger and it would Fail to Fire?

Did the trigger reset at all after firing a round?

Did your pistol FTF at all after manually cycling the slide?

Edited by d_striker

So you would pull the trigger and it would Fail to Fire?

No, it would fire, after I "jiggled" the trigger to reset it.

Did the trigger reset at all after firing a round?

No, I had to manually reset it with my trigger finger.

Did your pistol FTF at all after manually cycling the slide?

Never, fired and fed every time. I don't know if the trigger failed, or jammed. Didn't find any debris, etc.

Only manually cycled a couple times until I realized I could reset it with my trigger finger.

Thanks

The trigger bar spring is done.

The trigger pivots on the trigger bar. Pulling the trigger compresses the trigger bar spring which causes the trigger bar to travel forward and the rear portion to engage the safety lever which engages the sear which releases the striker. Releasing the trigger, after the shot breaks, causes the trigger bar spring to decompress which makes the trigger pivot to its original forward position and the trigger bar to its original rearward position. I'm betting that the trigger bar spring is either broken or somehow disengaged from the trigger bar.

I don't think it's the sear spring. The sear spring returns/pivots the sear back into the upward position which in turn returns/pivots the safety lever downward.

Your original question on how to identify which trigger job is in your gun will require a little investigation. When you remove the slide, what color is your trigger bar, safety lever, and sear? If you could post a good close up photo showing said parts, it would be fairly easy to identify.

Edited by d_striker

The trigger bar spring is done.

The trigger pivots on the trigger bar. Pulling the trigger compresses the trigger bar spring which causes the trigger bar to travel forward and the rear portion to engage the safety lever which engages the sear which releases the striker. Releasing the trigger, after the shot breaks, causes the trigger bar spring to decompress which makes the trigger pivot to its original forward position and the trigger bar to its original rearward position. I'm betting that the trigger bar spring is either broken or somehow disengaged from the trigger bar.

I don't think it's the sear spring. The sear spring returns/pivots the sear back into the upward position which in turn returns/pivots the safety lever downward.

Your original question on how to identify which trigger job is in your gun will require a little investigation. When you remove the slide, what color is your trigger bar, safety lever, and sear? If you could post a good close up photo showing said parts, it would be fairly easy to identify.

Shooting all weekend starting today, will try to get a good pic Monday or so. Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the saga continues with a new twist. Worked my gun over real well and cleaned the wee out it, took it to the range and function fired fine. Went to practice on steel and same problem. Borrowed a buddies XD, built by the same guy, at the same time, no problems. Go home to get another gun for competition and while I'm there I get the call that my buddy's gun has gone down as well and as a bonus, he can't even get it apart. At this point I should mention that my buddy is a Master class shooter and my mentor, so not his first rodeo. We generally only use our XD's for 3gun, so they don't get tons of rounds through them. The guns were each built less than 5000 rounds ago and got Barsto barrels, extended grip safeties, trigger jobs, etc. for all intents and purposes, they are twins and at this point, very well the Siamese type. Taking d_strikers advice and ordering spring kits, but am wondering if this will affect the -2# trigger jobs, and if this a common failure. Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks

So, the saga continues with a new twist. Worked my gun over real well and cleaned the wee out it, took it to the range and function fired fine. Went to practice on steel and same problem. Borrowed a buddies XD, built by the same guy, at the same time, no problems. Go home to get another gun for competition and while I'm there I get the call that my buddy's gun has gone down as well and as a bonus, he can't even get it apart. At this point I should mention that my buddy is a Master class shooter and my mentor, so not his first rodeo. We generally only use our XD's for 3gun, so they don't get tons of rounds through them. The guns were each built less than 5000 rounds ago and got Barsto barrels, extended grip safeties, trigger jobs, etc. for all intents and purposes, they are twins and at this point, very well the Siamese type. Taking d_strikers advice and ordering spring kits, but am wondering if this will affect the -2# trigger jobs, and if this a common failure. Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks

I'm guessing that the trigger bar spring you ordered is heavier than your current spring. This would make your trigger pull slightly heavier.

When you dry fire the gun, does the trigger deliberately travel forward after the striker releases?

Pull the trigger and hold it back, cycle the slide to reset the striker. After the striker is reset, let go of the trigger. How does that feel?

Edited by d_striker

I'm guessing that the trigger bar spring you ordered is heavier than your current spring. This would make your trigger pull slightly heavier.

When you dry fire the gun, does the trigger deliberately travel forward after the striker releases?

Pull the trigger and hold it back, cycle the slide to reset the striker. After the striker is reset, let go of the trigger. How does that feel?

Can't seem to find a spring kit for the XD's. Brownells search shows nothing but complete trigger systems and Springer Precision doesn't use the same terminology or I don't know what I'm looking for. So as my grasping for straws continues, could you clue me in as to what I need? Looks like I'll be doing both guns, so I'll practice on his once I find the parts. Thanks

Can't seem to find a spring kit for the XD's. Brownells search shows nothing but complete trigger systems and Springer Precision doesn't use the same terminology or I don't know what I'm looking for. So as my grasping for straws continues, could you clue me in as to what I need? Looks like I'll be doing both guns, so I'll practice on his once I find the parts. Thanks

Try Powder River Precision. This trigger spring is pretty light but it should do the job.

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=82&categoryId=15

You didn't answer the question though...When the gun is unloaded and you pull the trigger, does it DELIBERATELY move back to its forward position?

Try Powder River Precision. This trigger spring is pretty light but it should do the job.

http://shop.powderri...2&categoryId=15

You didn't answer the question though...When the gun is unloaded and you pull the trigger, does it DELIBERATELY move back to its forward position?

No on his, yes on mine, albeit not entirely forward.

Has the gun ever ran correctly while in your ownership?

ETA-Can you take the slide off and take a picture of the trigger bar?

Gun has run without incident for two years, I don't have it at work, but I will try to remember to bring it tomorrow. It has an aftermarket trigger bar in it and his has a small allen bolt in it. First thing we found that was different. Thanks for your interest and help. Edited by chaosshooter00

Gun has run without incident for two years, I don't have it at work, but I will try to remember to bring it tomorrow. It has an aftermarket trigger bar in it and his has a small allen bolt in it. First thing we found that was different. Thanks for your interest and help.

Is the part stainless? I'm guessing the allen bolt you're referring to a set screw installed as an overtravel stop. Is this screw installed closer to the trigger on the surface that is perpendicular to the length of the part?

Does it look like this?

Springer%20trigger%20bar.jpg

ETA-I ask because it could be an entirely different issue.

Edited by d_striker

Gun has run without incident for two years, I don't have it at work, but I will try to remember to bring it tomorrow. It has an aftermarket trigger bar in it and his has a small allen bolt in it. First thing we found that was different. Thanks for your interest and help.

Is the part stainless? I'm guessing the allen bolt you're referring to a set screw installed as an overtravel stop. Is this screw installed closer to the trigger on the surface that is perpendicular to the length of the part?

Does it look like this?

Springer%20trigger%20bar.jpg

ETA-I ask because it could be an entirely different issue.

I would have to take another look. I will have it here tomorrow to take pics, so I can tell you more when I'm looking at it. Thanks

That looks like the SP trigger bar. Where is the set screw that you mentioned?

That's on my buddy's gun, I don't have it to take pics. These were built a few years back by a GM who worked at Barsto at the time. I have no idea what caused the failure on either gun. Do you still think we just need trigger springs? Thanks

That looks like the SP trigger bar. Where is the set screw that you mentioned?

That's on my buddy's gun, I don't have it to take pics. These were built a few years back by a GM who worked at Barsto at the time. I have no idea what caused the failure on either gun. Do you still think we just need trigger springs? Thanks

It's tough to say without actually manipulating the gun. The fact that you've had it for two years and it's worked fine up until now makes me think that a new trigger spring might help.

Take the slide off and rotate the takedown lever back down into position. Pull the trigger all the way back and hold it. Press down on the portion of the trigger bar that looks like a shark fin to reset. Let go of the trigger. It should return back to it's forward position DELIBERATELY. If it doesn't, I would say that the trigger spring might be the culprit.

If the trigger returns forward deliberately and positively, insert a magazine with the slide still off. Manipulate the trigger the same as above and see if the trigger bar is contacting the magazine at all.

• 1 month later...