Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

APEX still working on revolvers?

scottyinAZ

They make a bunch of money making and selling plastic guns.

No time to make niche revolvers like 627s, any 625 besides the 4 inch, or a few other interesting revos they would do for distributors.

My revolver guy is pretty good and reasonable.... shoot me a pm if you want his contact info.

I've had several people finger my guns even some that owned apex and carmoney guns that were impressed. I also own two carmoney guns and have no problems putting my new guns up against them.

THAT stinks!!! i have many apex guns & would like many more......... sad day i guess.

It's a problem, but one of the better kinds of problems a company can have. Very few businesses go out of business because they have too mich work. Hopefully they'll find a replacement.

It wasn't Randy Lee that left was it?

THAT stinks!!! i have many apex guns & would like many more......... sad day i guess.

I shot with Scott at the S&W Indoor, and he said that they will be taking revolver work in the future. They have a lot of irons in the fire with all their new parts. They are working on new revolver parts as well.

They had a period of time last year were they didn't take revolver work as well then started again, just keep checking their website.

Edited by Brian Gonsalves

Randy is the majority owner of Apex, so it wouldn't be him.

Obviously, the competition shooting world needs another good revolversmith. Not a week goes by that I am not asked to work on somebody's revolver. There is an opportunity here for somebody who is good, and who has a legitimate business operation (i.e., has a valid FFL, carries insurance, pays taxes, etc.).

There are people out there who are casually working on guns for money, but have no FFL. That's illegal. Bad situation.

Edited by Carmoney

Obviously, the competition shooting world needs another good revolversmith. Not a week goes by that I am not asked to work on somebody's revolver. There is an opportunity here for somebody who is good, and who has a legitimate business operation (i.e., has a valid FFL, carries insurance, pays taxes, etc.).

There are people out there who are casually working on guns for money, but have no FFL. That's illegal. Bad situation.

Mike, what is envolved in getting and maintaining an FFL? Just curious.

Edited by toothguy

ATF has a package and information on their wesite--good luck with getting one. If you can go through all the Federal/State/Local hoops

ATF has a package and information on their wesite--good luck with getting one. If you can go through all the Federal/State/Local hoops

It seems like the local hoop is the biggest one, which is the atf requiring you to meet whatever you local zoning regulations are for a business.

Easier in some places than others, certainly not impossible.

I've had my FFL for around 20 years. My license is held in a corporate name, and the licensed premises have always been located in a properly-zoned commercial building with a security system. Key personnel must have squeaky clean records, get fingerprinted, etc. Obviously, proper records need to be maintained, taxes paid, etc.

In my experience, for a legitimate commercial gunsmithing operation, obtaining and maintaining proper licensure is not a problem. On the other hand, the feds are not making it as easy for the "basement bandit dealers" and "kitchen table gunschmidts" these days.

I would never advise anyone to do gunmithing work without an FFL. You might go for a long time without getting busted, but if it happens, you're talking about a federal problem. It's just not worth the risk.

Hey guys,

We stopped taking revolvers temporarily because randy and I are so busy with product development and we don't have the man power to keep up with all the custom revolver work.

We intent to remedy that as soon as possible, but for now we are asking people to be patient with us.

Scott @ Apex

When I walked through S&W's factory last month there wasn't a single plastic part to be found. It was wall to wall machines, and machines parts. M&P barrels, slides and revolver frames. I did not know that except for a few large caliber X frame barrels. All the current N,K,L,J barrels are not machine cut rifling. They are all done through an electro-chemical-etching..sort of process. I did not know this. We did watch some 5" 9mm M&P barrels get rifled. The amount of revolver frames everywhere was amazing. They took us to the cylinder room where a robot picks up the cylinders and does all the final finish and polish. except for the flutes. Those are still done by hand on a belt, one flute at a time. They tried to get that process automated with no success. I asked about M&P's where are those made? He smiles and said. Off site. They don't do any plastic or Ti cylinder, work at their factory. When we went back in the cylinder storage room there were 10's of thousands of cylinders. They were everywhere. The flats of Ti 327 cylinders were there too. I asked my wife? Do you think titanium set off the metal detectors? I just got the look.... Great experience, and if they ever open it back up to the public, you should all go. We were there as a guest of S&W since we were shooting their match. As for Apex not doing any revolver work. I hope they earn pockets full of steady reliable money so they could buy, truckloads of CNC machines and then hire 4 people to do Scotts work and 6 more to do the work of Randy's, 5 more for Lisa. This should free up the core gang to allow them to play more than they get to currently. I Love all my Apex work and look forward to future work done by them. They have taught me to just leave it alone. Lisa sent me this a while back.

post-21005-0-88574200-1364070644_thumb.j

Edited by Ty Hamby

Well Mike if the law practice ever gets bad you can always put food on the table. You guys be patient and wait for Apex to start accepting revolver work. I wish my revolver smith was just busy. My smith thinks his law firm is more important than my revolver work. All of my revolvers are Carmonized sold the only Apex gun I had.

Seriously thank you Mike for all of the great work you have done on my revolers.

Well Mike if the law practice ever gets bad you can always put food on the table. You guys be patient and wait for Apex to start accepting revolver work. I wish my revolver smith was just busy. My smith thinks his law firm is more important than my revolver work. All of my revolvers are Carmonized sold the only Apex gun I had.

Seriously thank you Mike for all of the great work you have done on my revolers.

:D Thanks Chris! Glad you're pleased with your Carmonizers. I guess life is good when things are busy enough at my real job that I can turn down gun work. (On the other hand, I worked most of the day today, and will be back in the office by mid-morning tomorrow.)

One of the joys of being self employed!

Yeah, plus the sheer joy I feel from knowing that my efforts are being redistributed to support several families of deadbeats who don't bother to work.

But I digress......

I can understand Apex not taking new revolver work if their other stuff is more profitable, but...

I don't care how prosperous the Plastic M&P trinket business is, they should have taken the time to repair Signcutter's revolver that they had already worked on.