Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Installing 550b; cleaning media

Hello all. I ordered my first press, a Dillon 550b, from Brian a few months ago and, due to some unforeseen circumstances, have only now been able to see about actually getting it set up. I had a couple of quick questions:

1. The manual states that the press should be installed about a foot from the end of the bench. Is there any recommendation as to how far from the front edge of the bench the press should be installed? I was guesstimating I would set it back from the front edge an inch or two but didn't know if there was any need or advantage to putting it flush with the front edge or even further back than an inch or two or whether it matters at all. I'm using the strong mount on a bench that is about 41 inches high if that matters.

2. I got some ground corncob as tumbling media at Feeder's Supply. It seems to be ground pretty coarsely with a lot of pieces being about the size of a grain of rice or even bigger. I have since seen a picture of ground corncob formulated by one of the reloading suppliers that appears to be ground a good deal finer. Does it matter or do you expect the Feeder's Supply stuff will do?

Thanks for any info or insight. This is the first of what may be many questions. Also, gotta give a shout-out to Brian for filling my Dillon order so quickly and attentively.

The 12" placement is good point to start. If you don't like it there you can move it later. It's your press, which means you set it where you are comfortable. As with all things, you will learn with time and experience what works best for you. FWIW I don't like corn because it gets stuck in the brass. Crushed walnut shell with some polishing compound works great. If you want the corn made finer, just put it in a strong bag and get a hammer. :)

Bolt the press to the strong mount and then place the entire assembly where it feels comfortable. The one foot is for items on that side. My press is centered on an 8' bench so I have room for stuff between it and my LCT on the right side of the bench and the single stage RCBS on the left side.

The only issue with corncob size is it can get stuck in the flash hole, I've hanged over to very fine corn cob. However I do all the initial cleaning with SS media/dawn/lemishine in a tumbler then just use the vibratory with corn cob to get the lube off the cases after sizing.