Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

plated hollow points vs. plated round nose

bigdawgbeav

I have been shooting Xtreme Bullets plated RN's for a while now (200gr.). I'm looking at moving up to 230gr. the question I have is the hollow point worth the extra $5/500? I know Xtreme doesn't make their HPs for self defense. I have a vague recollection of them saying that the HPs were more accurate than the RNs.

Is this true? When they finally catch up on order should I just order the 230gr. HPs?

Jeremy, are you happy with the 200 grains? Why do you want to "move up to the 230"?

How's the accuracy of the 200 grains? I've heard the HP's can be more accurate - do

you need more accuracy?

Possible the base of the HP's is plated, and the 200 gr are not plated on the base???

That's a potential advantage if you're pushing the bullet fast - less leading possible -

but I think that's only if you have a comp on the end of your gun ... :cheers:

Jeremy, are you happy with the 200 grains? Why do you want to "move up to the 230"?

How's the accuracy of the 200 grains? I've heard the HP's can be more accurate - do

you need more accuracy?

Possible the base of the HP's is plated, and the 200 gr are not plated on the base???

That's a potential advantage if you're pushing the bullet fast - less leading possible -

but I think that's only if you have a comp on the end of your gun ... :cheers:

Xtreme plates their bullets all around. It's not a JHP with and exposed baseXC45-230HP-B0500-2.jpg

I'm fine with 200gr. bullets. No problems (at least not with RNs, SWCs are a whole other story!). I just felt like moving up to the "standard" .45acp. Plus to make PF I will use less powder and can get a few more rounds out of the canister. Plus I'm trying to standardize all my loads. Many times it's easier to find 230gr. than 200. That's not to say I won't load a 200gr. bullet if that's all I can get.

As for accuracy, I can always use some more accuracy... who couldn't?

Right now just hoping for a response about RNs vs. HPs. Like I said, the HPs from Xtreme are obviously not meant for self defense. So that would mean that they would have to be only good for competition shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tested a lot of bullets and the HP's are more accurate, hands down....it kind of surprised me that they were...maybe the bullets leave the barrel a little differently than the RN's....when I first started shooting some matches, I always wondered why the experienced competitors had the more expensive HP's.....it is well worth the extra money..

For my 45 ACP loads I tend to prefer 200 grain. Reason? Seat of the pants impression and very non scientific observation is it seems

SWC just makes nicer groups. Maybe it is subjective and the reason is my tiny ape brain likes crisp cut holes in paper and cardboard vs the

torn holes non WC and SWC boolitz leave behind.

ANother reason. A tad less powder gets burned usually and that saves me shells and shiny beads. I like shells and beads.

I do load up a metric butt load of 230 grain round nose though for sure as I recently started going to bowling pin shoots. Easy enough to make

sufficient power factor to knock those off a table with a 230 grain. But for all other shooting I just save a few bucks and shoot lighter

bollitz. Lead, coated, plated, whatever. Bang , Bang, Bang.

• 2 weeks later...

For my 45 ACP loads I tend to prefer 200 grain. Reason? Seat of the pants impression and very non scientific observation is it seems

SWC just makes nicer groups. Maybe it is subjective and the reason is my tiny ape brain likes crisp cut holes in paper and cardboard vs the

torn holes non WC and SWC boolitz leave behind.

ANother reason. A tad less powder gets burned usually and that saves me shells and shiny beads. I like shells and beads.

Here on earth I have to use MORE powder with a 200gr bullet to make major pf.