Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What springs and followers with Taran Tactical Base Pads

Aggieddad02

My 2011 build will be in tomorrow and I was fortunate enough to find some STI 140 magazines so the process continues. I have seen mixed results of some using Taran's springs and followers and I have see others using Grams springs and followers. My research has found those that say they can load more rounds with Taran's springs and followers in his bases. Your experiences with these base base pads amd guts? Thanks all

TTI springs and followers work great in SV tubes. I have an old style SV 140 tube that i bought NIB. I smoothed the edges on a TTI follower and dropped it in...no other tuning was done. The mag holds 25 with an 11mm Grams pad and has never malfunctioned in my gun. With an STI tube, grams internals will give you similar results. TTI internals may work in an STI tube...but I couldn't make it happen

They used to say don't use the Bolen followers in a STI mag just the SV. Are Taran's followers the same as the Bolen? Now on Taran's website he has separate listings for STI and SV. Has anyone some knowledge on the Taran STI followers? Or are Grams still the best for capacity and reliability?

You can use SV's new competition followet with 10coil spring. Same as Taran's Tactical competition follower w/ 11coil spring ... you get 20rds reloadable and 21rds start mag.

Theres a ciuple of things you need to do to TTI comp followet and spring to make it work in a STI tube. But I ran then in last years nationals with issues. The only issue I had were primer follow.

• 2 months later...

Has anybody experienced last round being stuck in the mag or halfway fed with Taran tactical followers? I'm using TT basepads/spring/follower combo and it seems to leave the last round in the mag with the slide locked back....so 19 out of 20.

...140mm in 40sw......any input would be appreciated.

Has anybody experienced last round being stuck in the mag or halfway fed with Taran tactical followers? I'm using TT basepads/spring/follower combo and it seems to leave the last round in the mag with the slide locked back....so 19 out of 20.

...140mm in 40sw......any input would be appreciated.

You have to shave the corner of the follower to not active your slide stop ...

• 6 months later...

I've always used STI tubes with Dawson SNL+1 and Gram guts in my Limited and Opens. I would always get 20 reloadable in my Limited 40 and in my 9 major would get 23 in the 140s and 28 in the 170s, all reloadable and very reliable.

I just got a new 9 Open and tried Taran 7mm and 4mm all with Gram guts. After experimenting I get 24 in the 140s and 29 in the 170s using the 7mm Taran......all reloadable. I then tried them on my limited mags. I now get 21 in the 140s - reloadable and reliable. I also have a 40 open that I now get 24 in the 170, reloadable and reliable, up from 23 with the Dawson SNL +1. I just bought more 7mm Tarans to change all my limited mags.

I've always used STI tubes with Dawson SNL+1 and Gram guts in my Limited and Opens. I would always get 20 reloadable in my Limited 40 and in my 9 major would get 23 in the 140s and 28 in the 170s, all reloadable and very reliable.

I just got a new 9 Open and tried Taran 7mm and 4mm all with Gram guts. After experimenting I get 24 in the 140s and 29 in the 170s using the 7mm Taran......all reloadable. I then tried them on my limited mags. I now get 21 in the 140s - reloadable and reliable. I also have a 40 open that I now get 24 in the 170, reloadable and reliable, up from 23 with the Dawson SNL +1. I just bought more 7mm Tarans to change all my limited mags.

How are you legal with 7mm base pad on 140mm Limited mags ??? 4mm base pads are the most you can get to fit in the uspsa mag gauge.

I currently get 21rds of 40sw reloadable in 140mm STI limited mags. In open I get 24rds using 7mm base pad & TTi STI follower in my 140mm mags and 30rds using TTi competition/ SV follower, 4mm base pad and Taran Mag tuning... All Open mags are sti tubes and joe hardy spacers.

Edited by RippSpeed