Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redneck Gunsmithing!

kneelingatlas

That 535 looks like it has seen better days and the deburring tool is made for pretty rough cuts. I am surprised it didn't leave big time teeth marks on outside of the barrel from the chuck.

Edited by z40acp

Maybe there is something wrong with the bullets. I've never seen any barrel shoot that bad at 10 yards. It looks like a lot of the bullets are keyholing.

Oh it could be the barrel. I've seen an AK barrel cut with a pipe cutter do things like this. Of course a .30 caliber barrel with the crown “swaged down to about .28 caliber will do strange thing to a bullet.

Maybe there is something wrong with the bullets. I've never seen any barrel shoot that bad at 10 yards. It looks like a lot of the bullets are keyholing.

No keyholes; the ream was pretty nasty, I wasn't surprised. Fortunately this barrel has seen it's last bullet, it will live the rest of its life as a dummy for single shot exemptions (it's a CA thing...).

• 3 months later...

Time for a redneck gun smithing update:

Like most CZ Tactical Sport owners, I love the pistol, love the trigger, but hate having so much trouble finding a bullet I can load longer than 1.1" with lead in the short chamber. So I decided to ream it out a little bit, but those damn reamers are so expensive...

I have a machinist's set of drill bits, so I figured what the hell! I took my drill bits: W (.386"), X (.397") and Y (.404"), wrapped electrical tape around the shank until the OD was .420" (wrapped clockwise so it doesn't unroll as the bit turns) to keep the bit centered in the chamber and stop it from feeding down the barrel. I turned the bits by hand (W to Y) and continued to check the chamber with a moderately loaded lead round nose (1.135") until it spun free.

On the way to the range the first time, I was a little worried I may have just ruined a $145 barrel, but it shot perfectly, cycled reliably and the rifling looks just like it did out of the factory. I call that a success! :D