Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redneck Gunsmithing!

kneelingatlas

So I'm been feeling my oats in the home gunsmithing area for the past few years, growing bolder with each project including drilling and tapping my frame, threading barrels, etc. so yesterday I tried a new challenge: cutting a barrel to length. I bought a 9X21 top end for a Tanfoglio because I wanted the comp and slide, so what to do with the basically useless 9X21 barrel? What a perfect candidate for my experiment!

IMG_20130318_154639_779_zps26190ee3.jpg

I started by shooting a control group (ten shots at ten yards):

Before_zps2ec33a93.jpg

Not bad, but certainly not a tack driver; the barrel started life as a 9X19, then was reamed to 9X21 and the lands of the rifling were cut back some too, which may be to blame for the group (certainly not my abilities!).

Then I proceeded to hack a brutal, crooked cut with a chop saw:

IMG_20130318_154818_842_zps8fdebb2b.jpg

IMG_20130318_154826_685_zps4c72ed13.jpg

And shot a second group of ten shots at ten yards:

After_zpsd25e76b7.jpg

I'll let you be the judge, but if you ask me, the accuracy remained completely unchanged. Precise 11 degree crown my foot!

My buddy, who cuts back barrels often (and shoots thing far away with them), will use a simple deburring tool to clean up the edge.

If getting fancy, then a round thing (ball bearing) with some grit on it might work.

Grinding stone like this chucked up in a dreaded Dremel spun at low speed will give you a remarkably nice crown.. Just let it find a natural center in bore and hold parallel to bore.....

That bit chucked up in my drill press would probably work OK, but I think if I'm going to cut any more barrels, I should probably invest in the crowning tool (or leave them square).

Looks like a pipe threader, not a lathe!

Another way to get the final burr free crown is a round (slot/phillips) headed brass screw and some lapping compound. I did a few .22's this way and got some improvement.

Neal in AZ