Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Price Tracking

tohm

This is the third and final update on AR price tracking.

On December 28th I decided to track the final sales price of ARs to determine when we may peak on the current crazy price situation. I tagged bids on GB for a standard Bushmaster 16" E2S NIB-- no used guns, no special add-ons like optics, just a vanilla .223 that would typically retail prior to the crisis at something under $1000.

I took an average of those bids on days where I was able to find at least six representative transactions that closed for this rifle. I did not include any data where the final bid was under the reserve, nor did I include any data from sellers who did not have at least one point of feedback.

The averages over the last three months are as follows:

chartmarch_zpsb08765d0.jpg

As you can see, the prices peaked on December 29th, dipped and then another local high point on January 14th, the day before the 23 presidential executive orders were announced.

Prices have been decreasing since that time, and have been hovering around $1000 over the past week.

My assessment is that the price bubble for AR's has been deflated. While ammo prices are still generally high, the price of AR's appear to be at or near their retail offerings. I'm concluding the study of AR prices given this conclusion.

Have you been patient enough to wait for this trend to play out to make a purchase of an AR, or did you pick one up when it was 2x retail? Or, did you take advantage of the trend and sell an AR at the peak?

This was from a person on the INGO forum. Just thought i would pass the data along.

Now with the federal ban dying on the vine until after the midterms maybe we can get pmags 3 for $20? I would love to take advantage if given the opportunity on speculators who bought up AR's and mags and now want to dump them! Reloading supplies and 22's will be a while though.

Very interesting graph! That took some time to track and enter all the info into. Thanks

I'm also hoping that i can score some cheap pmags now that they just took the assault weapons ban and high cap mag out of the bill they are pushing through. Maybe even a nice back up gun from someone who bought when it was crazy and realizes they don't need it and just need $$$!!

I saw it on the INGO Forum and thought those on this forum might be interested. I agree that took dedication and i would hate not to share it with all! I am sure they will take another run at legislation if they get both houses in the midterm so buy up! They may pass it like health care or at least it will create another market bubble. Buy low sell high is how the game goes, i usually buy high and get squat back.

Looked at prices on GB today since the news the ban in the senate is dropped, not much going cheap yet it will take time for the market to settle down, there is a Firebird Precision Ar that seemed reasonable, the last time time I saw a CTR2 it was north of 3500 (2600 when mine was orderedin 3/12)