Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving the gun safe

JKSNIPER

ranger good idea with the dowel rods...as long as you're close to the same level and not having to bump it up or down you're golden.

I like D. Hayden's idea of building the home around it and when you move you sell it with the house. We have friends building their home and we visited the construction site the other day and its coming along great.

Big house...the husband is a big time business guy and a fellow firearms enthusiast so I jokingly said "So wheres the gun safe going." and without missing a beat he seriously answers "In the island in the closet." which , judging by her reaction, the wife had ZERO idea he was planning on this.

He and I start discussing how to get it in there and reinforcing the floor joists and my wife and his are looking at us : "He's not serious? Is he?"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to move my gun safe with one other person and a dolly. It is a 14 gun safe and weighs about 450 lbs. I have a nice dolly, but the height of the safe extended past the handles on the dolly and alot of the weight (at the top of the safe) seemed to land just on my forearms. If felt as though it could snap my raduis/ulna with any bad bump.

When we moved again we hired movers and I was amazed at what I had seen. Two guys layed the safe flat picked it up like they were moving a fold-up table and off they went. :surprise: They made it look easy, and the kicker was they really didn't look that big.

I'm lucky in that I have a daylight basement with a door, no stairs. My first safe I picked up at the shipping Co. and just slid it from the back of the truck to the patio. Then I used a piece of cardboard to slide it into the house. Then my wife told me to put a rug upside down under it to slide it to where I wanted it.

The next two safes were delivered by the outfit that I bought the safe from and then hand trucked to where I wanted them. Cost was $25.00 per safe extra.

You guys have light weight safes. Mine is a 40 inch wide Fort Knox that weighs 1500 pounds empty. It took four of us (the two guys from the safe movers a friend of mine and myself) to get it down the stairs and into my basement. If the bad guy is big enough to pick it up and carry it out he can have it.

Brian

Looking at having to move the safe in the gun room around. Safe full = 1260Kg (2700lbs), Empty = 980Kg (2200lbs).

Any volunteers? Distance required is less than 40feet. One step and carpet involved.

Willing to stand and watch. :devil:

Man that is one BIG safe!

I saw an ad for these air powered moving doohickeys that you could put the monster thing on and move it on a cushion of air...unk how they would perform with a step involved.

Good luck buddy...sounds like you need professional help.

Looking at having to move the safe in the gun room around. Safe full = 1260Kg (2700lbs), Empty = 980Kg (2200lbs).

Any volunteers? Distance required is less than 40feet. One step and carpet involved.

Man that is one BIG safe!

I saw an ad for these air powered moving doohickeys that you could put the monster thing on and move it on a cushion of air...unk how they would perform with a step involved.

Good luck buddy...sounds like you need professional help.

As long as I keep taking the tablets the Dr says I will be fine. The voices however disagree, but what we would know.

:) After I posted it and read what I wrote I thought it might be interpreted that way.

Should have known to be more specific with the USPSA crowd.

Reminds me of the USMC t-shirt I saw that said "9 of the 10 voices in my head are telling me to kill you now"

WHat I meant to say to GM IPROD was "You could use some professional MOVING help."

Please tell the voices I'm one of the good guys.

The problem is, according to some of my "friends" I may need "professional" help. Unfortunately they have lots of evidence that they could be right.

Meanwhile the safe remains where it is for the time being. We will be looking more carefully at how we do this later. Duck season soon and time is at a premium.

If you can wedge a long prybar under it to get a corner up you are golden. Get it up high enough to get golf balls under it and it will roll and spin like it is on ball bearings. Just feed them in from the direction your are rolling it as they come out the opposite side. The hardwood dowel rod technique works good too. It just doesn't turn as easy.

For the step I would build a wooden frame from 2x4's that had angle iron on the sides with bracing to support 4 bottle jacks on the corners. Then I would use it as a makeshift elevator. Car spare tire scissor jacks would work too.

If I was going down the step I would send the wife out for groceries and get a good run with the golf balls and hope nothing got tore up to bad on the landing.

But, I'm a bit of a Hillbilly and don't like paying people to do things.

If I was going down the step I would send the wife out for groceries and get a good run with the golf balls and hope nothing got tore up to bad on the landing.

ah that is a wonderful idea.

I find I am picturing sweet Wife arriving home....

"honey? how are you gong to see where you are going with the safe strapped to the hood

of your truck?"

golf balls are a damn good idea.

I am thinking I'd like some brakes. I know my basement floors are not level.

safe centered over the sump is not the ideal location...

miranda

One of my suppliers was having a new safe installed and he got the guys from the warehouse to "help".

Close your eyes and think carefully after you have read the following

Andy is upstairs and he is guiding the safe. Downstairs is two large guys that can really lift. Safe is lifted and suddenly decides to tip upstairs slightly, Andy lands up UNDER the safe and now requires help, they can't stand the safe up from underneath, so one has to go over the safe. All he can see as he adds 240lbs to the weight of the safe is hands and feet out either side.

Between laughing and being greatly unhelpful, he finally gets the safe upright.

When we heard of this we also were unhelpful and somewhat unsympathetic towards Andy. :devil:

So not to land up in his position were are being much more careful and won't tell anyone. Everyone is sworn to secrecy, so no one will ever know.

Yeah right.

• 5 months later...

I moved an 850 lb safe with my wifes help. I tipped the safe back. She slid a piano dolly under the safe. I tipped the safe down on to the dolly. (piano dolly-2x2 platforn on 4 heavy duty small wheels.) Works best if safe is not centered on the dolly, but still balanced. Rolled it to the trailer. Put an old piece of carpet in the trailer. Tipped safe, removed dolly. Tipped safe onto trail( just happend to be the perfect height-got lucky) slid it in on its side. Got home and did the same. I was just putting it in the garage but I didnt strain a muscle. I dont think I would like to ever move this up any stairs.

Edited by jeremy kemlo

I let a friend put his big (not sure of the weight, but big) safe in my

house while he's between house and apt living. Fortunately my house has

an exposed back and we got it to the lower level easily. But, it would

not have been so easy if another shooter had not stopped by and helped.

It would still be outside. Did I mention it was big............ :).

We have 2 safes and keep both full there is one about 400 and one about 300 I think they are both heavier but I'm guessing on the lgihter side of things. Either way we moved into a new house with a set of rather steep steps up to the next floor. My dad and I got into the house with the safes by pushing a dolly with the safes up the 5 steps into the house and both agreed NO WAY was this going to work. (It is an older house with 12 foot ceilings and very steep stairs about 19 of them). So we decided that maybe we would try I was pushing from the bottom and my dad was pulling the dolly we got up exactly 1 step nope no way is it going to work that way. Well the master bedroom is up- stairs and with 30+ guns to move we cant just keep the safes downstairs... What are we to do? Oh well not a problem is it, I mean we have a few 2x4s and a winch. Ok EASY. It turned out that it really was after about 2 hours of trying to horse the safes up the stairs we discovered that if we braced the winch against the top of the stairs with 2X4s and then put 2x4s down like runners and just winch it right up. Actually yeah it was as simple as that after we got it figured out it took like 30 minutes, And we only left like one mark on the house!! So a quick trip with the dolly to the nook in the master bedroom that seems like it was built for the safes side by side.

Years ago when I bought my upright metal safe (5'H 18"D 20"W) the local manufacturer delivered it, and two guys just rolled it up a couple or so front steps (I'm essentially on the ground floor here) and rolled it directly into my bedroom closet. It wasn't the moving-it-in that was of concern--it was the truck they brought it in. This company is a regular vendor at local and regional gun showsand the truck is literally emblazoned with their business name and other identifying marks, but also with HUMONGOUS lettering that says "GUN SAFES." Yikes. It was mid-afternoon on a weekday, IIRC, and I just hoped no one even got a glimpse at the signage on this big truck! Now, they didn't stay long after delivery, but the truck was out there long enough to be seen. I didn't know whether to be embarrassed or paranoid.

Then recently a young couple moved in next door. One of the first items to emerge from their moving van was this HUGE gun safe. I didn't happen to witness how they hell they got it into the apartment, but I kinda wondered where they planned to PUT it. Maybe in the spare bedroom alongside their chubby little newborn twin boys . . .

My first safe (36 gun Liberty) I unloaded (fairly high 4x4)and moved into my house by myself (up 3 steps) OH, to be that young again

Second safe (liberty fatboy) , I used a forklift and golf balls, EASY ,

sometimes using your BRAIN instead of your BACK is BETTER . . . . .

I may trade young and strong, for older and smarter :sight:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1 for buying twice the size you think you'll ever need. I bought one weighing #1000 the store put it on the trailer on its back and with the help of 2 buddies and the tilt trailer stood it up and slid it in to my walk out basement thank god it slid easily on concrete. I'll be moving soon so knock on wood that it will go as smoothly this time.

• 6 years later...

I just bought a Liberty National Security plus. I’m not sure it’s gonna fit through my office door.  SMH 🤦‍♂️ Boneheaded move on my part. The place I bought it said they might be able to take the lock face and handle off of the door. I don’t know how I feel about that. She might just go in the living room. So annoyed but it’s my own lack of planning. 

Edited by Infidelmetals