Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wanting to Modify a Glock 17 gen3

I have just purchased a G17 for training, and possibly conceal carry.

I was thinking of modifying the trigger to a 3.5lb, and the recoil spring (I wanted to go with a better 17lb).

This will be a gun that will get will used.

I am looking for advice on the mods

Thanks

I love to tinker with my guns, but after installing sights on my 34 and 17, it was time for me to stop. They run great and I just don't think they require a lot of modding to be competitive.

But others also like to tinker with their guns. That's why there are so many after market parts out there.

Bill

Welcome to the forums.

As EKJ mentioned, the stock spring is fine for factory ammo and most competition loads. Metal sights, especially tritium would be worth it on a carry gun. The trigger will feel lighter, or at least smoother and cleaner, just by breaking in. The breaking process is more or less what a "25 cent trigger jot" (search the forums) will get you, a lot faster. If you don't trust yourself to do it safely, you will get a lighter, but not necessarily smoother trigger by dropping in the factory 3.5 connector.

I'd say do the trigger job and get a set of sights that you really like. It's a solid gun. I carry a g17. Only thing I dislike is the size. Wish I got the g19 so it didn't print so bad under t-shirts or jackets. Still doable though

I would just stick with stock parts for any sort of Glock carry gun. The stock trigger pull is just fine for a critical incident situation and that's when the chips are down and you need all of the reliability you can get out of a Glock.

Thanks for all the replies

I have looked at the Glockworx complete trigger groups; does anyone have any feedback on the ‘Duty Drop in Kit’?

The other thing I have looked at was replacing the plastic guide rod with a stainless steel guide rod but I would stay with the 17lb spring.

As for the sights, for now I am going to stay with the factory night sights that are on it.

A little background on myself, I am a current LE, on occasion shoot competitively, and I train very regularly.

I wouldn't modify your duty gun, just because of the type of lawyer that may use it against you. But that gives you an excuse to by another and do what you want to it. The practice time at a match will still help with the duty gun.

I've had several long conversations with a Prosecutor on the subject of carry guns and firearms related self defense. Let me distill down these discussions to things you might want to think about.

1. Don't use ammo that has evil sounding names. He carries with Glaser Safety. Let's see a lawyer make that sound bad.

2. Don't have what any lawyer could call a light trigger. And a lawyer will call anything lighter than factory (or what the local police use) as light.

3. Train with the gun and document it somehow. A log book works. So do USPSA & IDPA match results as long as you aren't at the bottom of every one of them.

4. DO NOT EVER USE RELOADED AMMO FOR SELF DEFENSE. I only yelled that because he did at the time.

Do a search on Massad Ayoob ,he's a long time LEO and does expert witness defense work for gun related court cases and would agree with everything posted by GigG. As far as springs & guide rods, I put in 22# springs for shooting hot loads (10mm) & so need a guide rod that can be dis-assembled. Other than that the factory set up is just fine.

A light trigger (3.5lbs or less) is great for competition but I would not recommend it for CCW. In a stress full situation you might have a AD or shoot someone you don't want to. I have a Glock 23 for my carry gun. I have installed the 3.5 lb connector only! I now have a 4.5lb trigger instead of 5.5 lb. Since I'm very used to light triggers for USPSA (3.5lbs or less), a 4.5lb trigger is about perfect for me.