Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness gold ERIC

rerun

Can i simply add another upper to my IFG gold Eric open gun and turn it into a 6" 10 mm or a .40 s&w limited gold........using the same frame?

I have never held or shot one of these pistols but i'm getting back into the sport after being out for about six years and i promised myself i wouldnt get into another equipment race trying to own the latest greatest new idea i saw at the nationals. And i figure this should be the right platform to start back with!

Yes you can get different upper for that frame, I believe you have to call EAA to order the Limited upper as it is not on their web site. that said If you saw the results from the nationals, the Tanfoglio is the latest greatest in Open and Production, but that could just be the shooter.

Mike

Yes you can get different upper for that frame, I believe you have to call EAA to order the Limited upper as it is not on their web site. that said If you saw the results from the nationals, the Tanfoglio is the latest greatest in Open and Production, but that could just be the shooter.

Mike

I used to have the latest and greatest when i shot uspsa 6 years ago and although i am starting again i truly don't have the money to drop $4000.00 on a limited gun or $5000.00 on an open gun and to be honest most latest and greatest guns are just fads that go away with time anyway!...............This go around i want to simply buy a factory gun that i can make whatever class i want and have fun shooting!.................And fix it up with aftermarket parts as i go!

Thanks for your help.

rerun,

I'm in the same boat you are. I have the Gold Custom V12 in 38 super . And I'm trying to locate an older V8 Upper ( slide barrel comp in good condition ) in 38 super also , to put on my lower. It's not easy sometimes, but just hang in there. It can take a little bit of time with EAA / IFG.

rerun,

I'm in the same boat you are. I have the Gold Custom V12 in 38 super . And I'm trying to locate an older V8 Upper ( slide barrel comp in good condition ) in 38 super also , to put on my lower. It's not easy sometimes, but just hang in there. It can take a little bit of time with EAA / IFG.

Man you said a mouthful brother! waiting TICK TICK TICKTICKTicktickticktick LOL................i've never been good at waiting!.......which by the way is one of my character flaws.............I dont have the gun yet...........i was speaking as if i had it. i have been trying to catch one used but i want the hunter model in 10mm and then add a six inch 9mm upper and a 5 or 6 inch .40s&w upper and have the ultimate combo . If i got the chance i would start with the 9mm open gun and build from there too!

rerun,

For some reason, it has been difficult to get more of theTanfoglio products sent to the U.S. Hopefully EAA / IFG , will kick it in gear and get Tanfoglio to understand that there are plenty of shooters here, that would like to use this platform. It has gotten a little better over the years, but it's been very slow going. Unfortunately, we will just have to be patient. NOT one of my strong suits either.

Goodluck to us both.

rerun,

For some reason, it has been difficult to get more of theTanfoglio products sent to the U.S. Hopefully EAA / IFG , will kick it in gear and get Tanfoglio to understand that there are plenty of shooters here, that would like to use this platform. It has gotten a little better over the years, but it's been very slow going. Unfortunately, we will just have to be patient. NOT one of my strong suits either.

Goodluck to us both.

Gennaro,

Why are you looking for the old style upper does it shoot flatter?

rerun,

I'm not sure, but that's what I would like to find out. Don't get me wrong about the V12, it runs great ! Tanfo's r and d would not use this newer platform if it were not better and faster than the older version. Unfortunately, I'm not a great, fast, shooter in any, way, shape, or form, but I do love tinkering with different configurations, to find out what might best suit my shooting style. I have always been this way. I even try to tinker with my girlfriend, but she doesn't like it when I try to change her,,LOL,, the same thing goes with guns also, sometimes they don't like being changed either. But I will keep on trying, lol.

rerun,

I'm not sure, but that's what I would like to find out. Don't get me wrong about the V12, it runs great ! Tanfo's r and d would not use this newer platform if it were not better and faster than the older version. Unfortunately, I'm not a great, fast, shooter in any, way, shape, or form, but I do love tinkering with different configurations, to find out what might best suit my shooting style. I have always been this way. I even try to tinker with my girlfriend, but she doesn't like it when I try to change her,,LOL,, the same thing goes with guns also, sometimes they don't like being changed either. But I will keep on trying, lol.

\

Gotcha!...........lol

kneelingatlas,

That's a cool idea, I like the way the Thunder comp 2 looks. I have a friend that has it on his Brazos and it shoots great. That could be a very nice option, thanks for the suggestion. First I want to try and use Tanfoglio components, primarily because they were designed for this gun. On the V8, the slide and barrel are both longer than on the V12, and I tend to feel a little bit more comfortable with a longer, heavier gun in my hands, it's just a personal preference. Canyon Creek had made an interesting comp for the Tanfo also, I might give Rich a call over there and see what he might come up with too. There are definately a few options out there, and you never know what just might work, until you try it. Thanks for the suggestion kneelingatlas, I appreciate it.

I have a Canyon Creek comp on a .38 super Tanfo with no holes in the barrel. I like it...feels real good with 124 grainers and slower powders. It started life as a .38 super limited witness and the comp was added by Rich at Canyon Creek as KneelingAtlas described. I have a 9mm barrel on order and if it ever comes in I intend to send it to Rich to be fitted with a comp for that barrel.

Edited by Bamboo

Bamboo,

If it's possible, could you post a few pics of your Tanfo with the Canyon Creek comp on it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also what is the load data that you are using for that set up ?

124 grain bullet, what manufacturer bullet ?

What Powder , and how many grains ?

What primer and casing ?

and OAL ?

Thankyou so much for your help.

Here is a pic of the gun I posted (post #90) in the "What is your Tanfo Setup" thread : http://www.brianenos...ic=111095&st=75

post-9934-0-47796900-1362359997_thumb.jp

Of course I haven't tried all combinations of powders and bullets, but I have tried Montana Gold 115grain and 124 grain JHPs and FMJs with AA#7, VV N350, SR4756 (124 grain only), and HS6 (115 grain only).

Of the loads I tried I liked the 124 grain loads with AA#7 or SR4756 the best in this gun:

Montana Gold 124gr JHP @1.235 OAL

AA#7 @ 10.2gr

Win SRP

Mixed cases

PF about 168

Montana Gold 124gr FMJ @1.250 OAL

AA#7 @ 10.2gr

Win SRP

Mixed cases

PF about 166

Montana Gold 124gr JHP @1.235 OAL

SR4756 @ 8.4gr

Win SRP

Mixed cases

PF about 166

This really is a nice shooting gun and have been enjoying playing with it.

The only negative I have to say about it is that the chamber is big and bulges brass more than I like. I haven't cast the chamber but using a plug gauge it looks to be about .393-.394ish diameter which is about .007 bigger than I would like. I have heard that this isn't unusual for the Tanfo .38 super chambers. Not a huge drawback but I get more rejects when reloading brass run through this gun. If you want to run 9mm through it might be considered a feature! But, since I run .38 super I would rather have it be a little tighter.

It's not so much that I am switching to 9 major, it is more that like to mess with the hardware and want to have an gun chambered for 9mm which can shoot 9 minor (for 3 gun/steel challenge stuff) or major if I choose. IMHO .the 38 super/SC is still the best cartridge for an open gun. This is not my primary open gun, so I don't mind experimenting. I have shot a couple boxes worth of 9mm minor (about 160pf) out of this gun and it seems to work well..not positive about the reliability yet, but I may just run 9mm in this .38 super barrel to see what happens. I also ordered a 9mm conversion upper so I can shoot 9mm minor in Limited division.

OHF - "How many Open guns do you need!?!?" Uh,.....One more? :roflol:

Naw, it's just that I have a soft spot for the old Springfield P9 guns and saw this one and it reminded me of them and wanted something a little different to shoot and tinker with. The Tanfo large frames are a logical cross platform with Caspians since the new Caspian mags work in Tanfos. No worries....No way am I giving up the DP gun...I love that damned thing, but don't tell DP that! :rolleyes: 20 years? Ok you need to hone up on your math skills, but yeah...you should be kicking my ass! Once you settle on a platform, you will. :ph34r: Hope to see you at a match sometime.

Bamboo,

The gun definately has a cool factor to it. I greatly appreciate all the information and load data that you provided, it gives me some options to try out in the future. When you get the 9mm upper conversion, please let us know how it runs with it. Thanks again.