Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN TSR XP .223 Rem Feeding Problem

shotslow

Help! Please! I got a new FN TSR XP in .223. (Google TSR XP will display the rifle) it is a bolt rifle with a heavy 20 inch barrel. One can feed a singe round into it, but cycling thru fails The rifle will not cycle. The tip of the bullet slams into the frame just below the feed ramp. I have tried fast, slow and in between. Do it fast enough and the tip of the bullet is damaged. Nothing works. I have tried stretching the leaf spring pushing the follower. Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone have this rifle?

Not happy with rifle. Groups suck. I think the bullets were close enough to be a group. But that was a lot my fault. I found I made a mistake mounting the scope. Working on it.

The rifle has a 1:9 twist. Will 55 grain bullets group at all. I have loaded some 69 grain rounds and will try them as soon as I can. It gets cold in Missouri.

The rifle has a 1:9 twist. Will 55 grain bullets group at all. I have loaded some 69 grain rounds and will try them as soon as I can. It gets cold in Missouri.

Can't answer the other questions, however this one I can, a 1:9 twist should group fine with 55 grainers, my 1:9 does. Also the Colt match barrels are 1:7 and I have seen them shoot .25" groups at 100 yds with 55 grainers.

I went to the rangte today. I used 69 grain HPBT. The 5 shots were in a 6 inch circle. I shot 55 grain Remington PMC. They were in a 4 inch circle. The distance was 100 yards. I have to check the rifle over. I was so mad I ran some patches thru it and put it up. I get at least one minute of angle at 100 yards with my Bushmaster Varmiter with those same loads and the Remington bullets. .

The rifle won't feed and it won't shoot.Thank you for the reply.

It has nothing to do with 1-9, i have a 24" 1-9 on a winchester that i can shoot 40-80g bullets through. .223 bolt guns in general can be a little finickey about getting to feed and eject (rem, win, savage) and sometimes it has something to do with bullet OAL and shape. I would look at your scope and rings etc. as well as paralax. If you dont get your paralax correct then you gun is not going to shoot. Your scope could also be broken; what scope are you running? If all else fails you can try to send the rifle back... or skim bed the action and first 1-2" of barrel. Its also very possible your stock to action fit is not so great. You could have loose action screws... if you did not pull the aciton out of the stock do that and wipe the oil out of the stock and off the action, sometimes they come from the factory that way and an oiley action will not shoot all that well.....cant think of anything else at the moment. I would expect 1.5 MOA or so what that gun or a little better with 5 shot groups.

What's your powder and charge? If I'm not mistaken, that is basically a Winchester Model 70, it should shoot far better than that. If you have some Sierra 52 Match Kings, and some H335, try a load of 25.0-26.0 That should shoot in any .223.

My guns do shoot better....yours aparently does not. The truth of the matter is that most guys that claim they gave guns that will shoot dimes at 100 yds will not a solid 10 shot 1" group...ever.

You have figured that out too. I have found that most people will say their rifle is (fill in moa here half quarter 1 etc) based on having one good group once. I shoot 5 5 shot groups and average the group sizes to determine what my gun will actually do for accuracy.

Pat

:angry2: Can I sue Punxsutawney Phil. On 2 Feb he said early spring. They are predicting 4 to 8 inches of snow here. :goof: I do have H335 and 52 grain bullets. They are Hornady though. I will try that load. When the snow goes. :eatdrink: I will also take apart and clean the action. I am using a new Burris 6.5 X 20 Fullfield scope. How do I tell if it is broken. New Rings too.

Finished cartridge is 2.260. Once fired brass with length 1.750, some at 1.749. Mixed but all .223 Rem. Yes, I have used factory ammo. Factory gives about a 3 to 4 inch groups. These are the best groups I have had..

I can shoot a 3 or 5 shot minute of angle group with my handloads. My Bushmaster Varminter has it happen from time to time, not every time. No, I have never shot a minute of angle 10 shot group. That is way too much work. :yawn:

Gentlemen, thank you for the replies. You have given me something to do and hope. :closedeyes: