Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hardchrome Vendor? Help me decide...

chowellacsbd

I was planning on using Plate-Tacular to do a cobalt finish to my open gun. You may want to contact him before you decide....he doesn't always offer the cobalt. Other than that, his finishes are second to none!

You will never find a better or more reliable person than Daniel at Plate-Tacular. Has done several guns for me, could not be happier. Daniel does this part-time, give him a heads-up & he'll take care of you.

You will never find a better or more reliable person than Daniel at Plate-Tacular. Has done several guns for me, could not be happier. Daniel does this part-time, give him a heads-up & he'll take care of you.

Are your guns hardchromed or cobalt?

interesting tidbit that has held me back in the hardchrome quest. taken from FAQ on infinity/svi website Q: Do you offer Chrome Plating as a finish option?

A: Our stated goal in manufacturing is to go further in innovation and quality. A large part of quality is longevity and reliability. Due to the hydrogen embrittlement implications of hard chroming we find this process is detrimental to the quality of the product.

interesting tidbit that has held me back in the hardchrome quest. taken from FAQ on infinity/svi website Q: Do you offer Chrome Plating as a finish option?

A: Our stated goal in manufacturing is to go further in innovation and quality. A large part of quality is longevity and reliability. Due to the hydrogen embrittlement implications of hard chroming we find this process is detrimental to the quality of the product.

Definitely something to think about. Good post Chip!

• 2 weeks later...

What about Robars NP3, I have two guns done with that. Seems to be pretty rust resisitant although a little slick feeling. Not sure about how durable it would be on a competitiion gun though. My two are a H p7 and a sig P245

Had robar do an np3 finish on my old edge. It was a nice finish, if you don't mind the yellow tint. Not happy with the reassembly of my gun though, as I had extractor issues after I received it back, not to mention it rattled since nothing had been tightened before shipping back to me. Not impressed.

Spoke to Chris at metaloy a few times...he's getting my work, hands down.

He does Cobalt & Cerakote finishes.

He does Cobalt & Cerakote finishes.

Spoke to daniel a few times, but he's having some back trouble and will out of commission for a little while. Extremely nice guy btw!

Sounds like baloney to me. I own hard-chromed handguns in every category from revolver to open, and they have all performed excellently--in some cases, for more than 20 years and counting.

APW does excellent work, and has a history of supporting our matches. They also are capable (and willing) to plate guns with aluminum alloy frames, so that can be a plus if you have a need for that.

Mahovsky's Metalife is the best value for the dollar for hard-chrome plating work. One of the pickiest custom gunsmiths I know uses Metalife exclusively for his custom IPSC/USPSA and Bianchi pistols.

Carmoney, my apologies, but what does APW stand for , or do you have a web site I can go to. Also METALIFE, do you have a web address for them too. I greatly appreciate the help. Many thanks.

This was more of an issue with tools made from much harder tool steels like stamping punches causing cracking. I think it's less of an issue with the softer steels of guns.

Mahovsky's Metalife is a good product.

Reliability I can see if they aren't building in tolerances for chrome, but longevity seems like a stretch. My Dawson open guns are hard chromed and have at least 90K through each by now.

I wanted to hard chrome my open gun but two highly respected builders both told me that the slide was much more likely to crack if it was hard chromed. They made this statement based on experience not based on physics. However, it does make sense that a chromed product is more brittle than a blued surface. I decided to leave my gun blued.