Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ransom Rest inserts XD(M)

Bike Effects

I made a set from blank pads, it really isn't worth trying to ransom rest polymer framed guns. It is very difficult to have them settle in, after a few shots the gun will move. Don't over tighten a gun in the rest, it can cause the gun to malfunction ie not fire or burst fire. You won't be able to change out a mag unless the gun is loosened up, then you have to repeat the whole process of getting the gun settled in. I found the gun will change impact about every 4th to 5th round, a three shot group is the best to hope for.

Rich

I made a set from blank pads, it really isn't worth trying to ransom rest polymer framed guns. It is very difficult to have them settle in, after a few shots the gun will move. Don't over tighten a gun in the rest, it can cause the gun to malfunction ie not fire or burst fire. You won't be able to change out a mag unless the gun is loosened up, then you have to repeat the whole process of getting the gun settled in. I found the gun will change impact about every 4th to 5th round, a three shot group is the best to hope for.

Rich

That is disappointing to hear. I wonder is that all polymer pistols or some??

I got some inserts for G20/G21 many years ago for my ransom rest. I found that when I tightened up the rest the frame flexed and caused the slide to stop working. I found I was able to find a decent holding pressure but when I worked with heavier loads in my G20 I had vertical stringing. That was almost 20 years ago and was done with a Gen 1 G20.

A few years ago I tried again with a Gen 3 G20 and had better results. I was working with heavier loads with my own made 200 gr. JSP's and got results with no evidence of vertical stringing like I had gotten before. If you look at the attachement you will see the groups I got with the rest and see they are "rounded." If you look at the data these loads were pushing a 200 gr. bullet from 900-1,000 fps so if I was going to get vertical stringing then I would assume I would see some evidence of it.

I did this test during monsoon season and since I was chronoing and shooting the ransom rest at the same time I only did the test at 25 feet because I had to grab all my crap and throw it in the truck a moments notice. If I tested further out my gear would get wet. I took a lot of crap for the "short"distance" on another forum even after I explained it ????? I wasn't trying to mirepresent my data and make things look good, just wanted to see if the bullets I was making had any potential.

Neal in AZ

Ransom G20 200 jsp.pdf

Edited by Intel6

I got some inserts for G20/G21 many years ago for my ransom rest. I found that when I tightened up the rest the frame flexed and caused the slide to stop working. I found I was able to find a decent holding pressure but when I worked with heavier loads in my G20 I had vertical stringing. That was almost 20 years ago and was done with a Gen 1 G20.

A few years ago I tried again with a Gen 3 G20 and had better results. I was working with heavier loads with my own made 200 gr. JSP's and got results with no evidence of vertical stringing like I had gotten before. If you look at the attachement you will see the groups I got with the rest and see they are "rounded." If you look at the data these loads were pushing a 200 gr. bullet from 900-1,000 fps so if I was going to get vertical stringing then I would assume I would see some evidence of it.

I did this test during monsoon season and since I was chronoing and shooting the ransom rest at the same time I only did the test at 25 yards because I had to grab all my crap and throw it in the truck a moments notice. If I tested further out my gear would get wet. I took a lot of crap for the "short"distance" on another forum even after I explained it ????? I wasn't trying to mirepresent my data and make things look good, just wanted to see if the bullets I was making had any potential.

Neal in AZ

Your target says 25 feet.

Related to this, I just completed some accuracy testing using my Ransom Rest for the first time on a Polymer pistol. I tested 24 different handloads and 2 factory loads in my M&P Pro Series .40 S&W. The results were awful to say the least. I'll have my new XD(M) 5.25 in 9mm next week and I sure hope this shoots a lot better than my M&P!