Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Akdal MKA 1919

Zebraman

• 2 months later...

Mine runs flawless with estate 1250FPS 1 1/8 loads. Using FB 15 round mags. I just ordered a Roulette18 rounder and we shall see how it works.

I also had no luck with BP slugs but Fiocchi Areo 7/8 oz slugs run 100% and are VERY accurate out of my gun.

Edited by KentG

Mine runs flawless with estate 1250FPS 1 1/8 loads. Using FB 15 round mags. I just ordered a Roulette18 rounder and we shall see how it works.

I also had no luck with BP slugs but Fiocchi Areo 7/8 oz slugs run 100% and are VERY accurate out of my gun.

I also tried B&P. Eventhough they shot really soft, they didn't produce enough gas to run the action. I haven't found any 7/8 oz. Fiocchi to try yet, but tried some 1 0z and they don't seem to want to feed, eventhough Jim put the full ramp mod. on my gun. So far, I've had best results with Remington, low recoil. None of the slugs I've tried shoot very accurate out of my Firebird. The group sizes are about double that of my JP 1100, but, the JP has the dot sight melted in to the barrel whereas the sight on my Firebird is on the receiver and it is possible the bbl is moving a little in the reciever

I also tried B&P. Eventhough they shot really soft, they didn't produce enough gas to run the action. I haven't found any 7/8 oz. Fiocchi to try yet, but tried some 1 0z and they don't seem to want to feed, eventhough Jim put the full ramp mod. on my gun. So far, I've had best results with Remington, low recoil. None of the slugs I've tried shoot very accurate out of my Firebird. The group sizes are about double that of my JP 1100, but, the JP has the dot sight melted in to the barrel whereas the sight on my Firebird is on the receiver and it is possible the bbl is moving a little in the reciever

Mine continues to "break in". For birdshot, the 1200 fps Remington Gun Club shells run 100%. Several months ago I tried some 1145 fps shells and reliability dropped to less than 50%. Now after lots more shooting, those "light" 1145 fps loads now run about 80% of the time. Still not good enough for a match, but in time they may work.

For slugs I've been running Remington Managed Recoil (1200 fps) 1 oz slugs. Checked the C-more to see if I needed to make any adjustments. I had a 3 shot group at 40 yards that made a tight cloverleaf. That was with the Carlson Extended "LM" choke in place. These slugs also run nicely with the "CYL" choke.

Bill

Mine continues to "break in". For birdshot, the 1200 fps Remington Gun Club shells run 100%. Several months ago I tried some 1145 fps shells and reliability dropped to less than 50%. Now after lots more shooting, those "light" 1145 fps loads now run about 80% of the time. Still not good enough for a match, but in time they may work.

For slugs I've been running Remington Managed Recoil (1200 fps) 1 oz slugs. Checked the C-more to see if I needed to make any adjustments. I had a 3 shot group at 40 yards that made a tight cloverleaf. That was with the Carlson Extended "LM" choke in place. These slugs also run nicely with the "CYL" choke.

Bill

Im curious if you have replaced your recoil spring from the original or the FB spring if you have a FB gun?

I replaced mine last spring after a fair amount of rounds. Comparing the replacement spring with the older one it was obvious it was a inch shorter relaxed. Nanci sent both the OEM and the spring FB puts in. Before I replaced the spring it would also run 1200 stuff. It will now as well but I feel better with the minor extra poop. I just wish it would run some of the heavy loads but it just wont. Pheasant loads wont run. I just change chokes now.

The Fiocchi slugs are

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/644566/fiocchi-low-recoil-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-7-8-oz-aero-rifled-slug-ammunition-can-of-80-8-boxes-of-10

The plastic can is a nice bonus.

A friend of mine is having some issues with his AKDAL. How about you AKDAL guys put together a check list of things these guns need to be 100%. It would help out others.

Pat

My gun started as one of Firebird's 922 Conversions sold at Centerfire. The lower was upgraded to the new aluminum one. I also run the reduced power spring and a gas booster bushing.

The main thing is to shoot a lot of rounds to get it broken in. I started with hot turkey loads and slowly dropped to lighter and lighter loads. Initially I did watch for aluminum shavings in the upper but unlike some others, never saw any. I also checked to insure my upper was not overbored and the barrel extension set too far back into the upper. (Mine was close but within acceptable limits.) During break-in its recommended to run your gun wet. Since I live where sand and dust is usually not a problem, I continue to run it wet.

During a slack period, I decided to see how far it would go without cleaning. A carbon ring developed on the operating rod about a half inch behind the gas piston. When it got large enough to hinder the piston, the gun began to jam. Since I was experimenting with with different shells, I do not know if any one brand caused the carbon ring but at least now I know what to watch for.

The number one thing to make these run reliably if find the shells it likes and stick with them. For me, its Remington Gun Club 1200 fps birdshot and Remington Managed Recoil 1200 fps 1 oz slugs. I still play with other shells when I practice (I still have around six cases of misc 12 gauge shells in the garage) but always finish the practice session with a box of the Remingtons.

Bill

p.s. I do not plan on installing the HEOS gas system. That would limit me to light loads and on occasion I plan on still shooting the hot loads for spinners and coyotes.

Edited by Flatland Shooter