Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with Cylinder & Slide Drop in Trigger Job

GigG

I installed a Cylinder and Slide, Drop in Trigger Job this weekend and it worked amazingly well but with one problem.

On re-installing the mainspring housing; when there is only a punch holding it in place the hammer can be pulled back to full cock with no problem. Smooth as can be. BUT when I put the pin in I can't manually cock the hammer. Racking the slide will do it but there is much harder to do. When fired it also seems to work fin but this is with full power .45ACP loads. I doubt lighter Steel Challenge load would. It does this with the Mainspring in the C&S kit and the lighter factory main spring.

I've sent a tech support email to Cylinder and Slide already but I'm curious if anyone here has any ideas.

Edited by GigG

That's what I was thinking as well. C&S responded but with a wrong answer. They assumed I had the lockable mainspring housing that many Springfields come with. I responded that I had an aftermarket mainspring housing and they haven't yet replied to that.

Might not apply in your case, but I had a similar problem. Aftermarket

MS housing/magwell unit on a Springfield Loaded. Dropped in a

C&S trigger kit and could not cock the hammer. Whoever swapped out

the MS housings put the guts from the lockable unit in the aftermarket

housing. It's the top plunger that is different---it's longer from the spring

shoulder to the cup that the strut fits into. I replaced the "mainspring

cap" with a mil-spec piece---problem solved.

I agree with the above info that the strut is probably the issue, if you have one available change out the hammer strut with a no-lockable one (like Ed Browns).

Did you have to move the strut from your old hammer to the C&S?

Hmmm I have a C&S hammer strut that I have not installed yet. Since it was advertised as "longer" I compared it to the stock strut of my TRP and could not detect any difference in length with the naked eye.

Before you start filing and shaping the tip of the strut, I would ensure you have the correct mainspring cap installed.

I did use the Springfield Mainspring cap and look at some photos of a stock one I think that may be the issue. I do have another Colt 1911 sitting around so I will pull the one out of it and see if it fixes the problem and then order a replacement if it does.

I did use the Springfield Mainspring cap and look at some photos of a stock one I think that may be the issue. I do have another Colt 1911 sitting around so I will pull the one out of it and see if it fixes the problem and then order a replacement if it does.

Ok...so are you running the ILS specific cap, spring, and retainer in the aftermarket MSH (shown on left)...or did you switch those out for standard parts (shown on right)?

If you are using the mainspring cap shown on the left with the spring on the right....that's your problem

HNONC-538371023-IMG_1165.jpg

The retainer will not be the issue. It will be the ILS specific cap (which adds length) combined with a standard spring (which is longer than an ILS specific spring and also adds length - compressed).

If you are using all ILS specific parts (cap, spring, retainer) it should work just fine in an aftermarket MSH...because when assembled it is the same overall length as a standard set. You will run into issues if you start mixing parts as stated above.

Edited by kodiakpb

Just to close out the thread for future readers.

It was the the mixture on new full size springs and Springfield's locking system. I changed the Mainspring cap last night and it works perfectly. And for the record the drop in trigger guard that is advertised as 3# by Cylinder and Slide weighed in at 3.25 pounds and was very crisp with zero creep. I highly recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...so are you running the ILS specific cap, spring, and retainer in the aftermarket MSH (shown on left)...or did you switch those out for standard parts (shown on right)?

If you are using the mainspring cap shown on the left with the spring on the right....that's your problem

HNONC-538371023-IMG_1165.jpg

Thank you for the photo, this is a great example of the old saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Great work!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...