Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mags in Pockets - Start on table

okorpheus

OK it could be just me and my understanding of the rules.

For a shooter (Revolver or any other kind) to put their moonclips or mags in your vest pocket would be just fine. But you would need to be wearing that vest for the entire match.

Once you start using it to hold your equipment it now becomes part of your equipment and needs to be worn for the entire match. Do ya get it?

Let the beatings begin!!

But you would need to be wearing that vest for the entire match.

Nope. We don't regulate competitor clothing. (And I'd really like competitors to be able to change their clothes during a five day Nationals at Barry in July....)

Competitive equipment is defined by the rule book -- clothing isn't part of it....

• 2 weeks later...

Per the ruling, you can have a magazine in a pocket forward of the hip bone, but may not use it during the course of fire, no matter where it came from. You can carry one in your hand (or two, for that matter), but once you put them in a pocket forward of your hip bone, you may not use them during the course.

This ruling was made to specifically address the issue of people taking a loader magazine from their back pocket, loading the gun, and then sticking it in their front pocket and immediately being bumped to Open. That is no longer the case, as long as any magazines in pockets forward of the hip bone, are not used after the start signal.

Rule 5.2.4 is interpreted to mean that when the equipment has to start with the magazines or speed loaders in retention devices attached to the belt, for those divisions that have position restrictions of holster and other equipment, they must be in compliance with Appendix D item 12, unless stipulated in the WSB that places them on a table or similar start and not in the retention devices for the start position. Further, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speed loading devices carried in the hand after the start signal are not subject to the equipment position restrictions of Appendix D, Item 12.

Production and Single Stack equipment locations are NOT intended to complicate loading before the start signal or unloading. (e.g. – a magazine may be retrieved from a front pocket to facilitate loading before the start signal or while unloading at the end of a COF without penalty).

During the course of fire, after the start signal, unless stipulated otherwise in the stage procedure, spare ammunition, magazines and/or speed loading devices shall be carried in retention devices attached to the competitor's belt and specifically designed for that purpose. Unless specifically prohibited in the Written Stage Briefing, a competitor may also carry additional magazines or speed loading devices in apparel pocket(s) and retrieve and use them without penalty, providing that the USPSA Handgun Rules, location of the apparel pocket does not violate the requirements of Appendix D, Item 12 (subject to the provisions of Rule 6.2.5.1). Should the division restrict the location of the magazines or speed loading devices, carrying them in apparel pocket(s) forward of the restriction point, will be allowed providing they are not removed from that apparel pocket(s) until the command “if clear, hammer down and holster”.

I don't think I can make it any clearer than it already is. Carrying a magazine in your hand is one thing. Putting it in a pocket is another, and using it from that pocket yet another. The first two are OK--the last one will move you to Open.