Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Latest and greatest Shot Shell Caddy's

tohm

I am interested in purchasing a couple more shot shell caddies. I have read through the threads and being as things can change quickly is there any thing new or top tier (I would rather buy once) that i should consider or changed recommendations? I am thinking of weak hand load four and have small to mid sized hands.

Tom

Well I've tried them all, and I still go back to my original Choate carriers I bought in 1995. I think it is way more important to go with what feels the best to you and your style than chase the newest bling!

Ive been looking. Due to a nerve problem and no feeling in my weak hand I've been searching for something that is versatile and allows me to load diffrent ways out of it (load 4 like a standard caddy, twins, and quad load all with both hands). Thus way I can load primarily twins or quads from both hands and still load traditional with the strong hand.

Look at carbon arms fsl8 and fsl12. I tried a friends and now I'm just saving so I can buy 3 12 rounders. They are a quality product and The one order I have had through them so far has been great and they are quick to awns we questions. Watch the video on their site too

http://www.carbonarms.us/TWinS-Shotgun-Loading-Systems/Carbon-Arms-TWinS-FSL-8-round.html

I don't like the CCW for some reason it rattles and the shells don't feel in place. I bought the Safariland caddies and they have a nice tension when 4 shells or less are stacked...Really nice tension. I also have the Carbon Arms TWinS Backbone which is "new" but haven't practiced with it yet except for twice on range shooting at a plate rack. I used a strong hand reload and it's designed for gabbing 2 shells at a time. I have to give it more time in practice sessions.

...They made two shell technique carriers, but I end up getting my thumb bit with that technique.

Did you have the lifter welded? I can't see being able to do load 2 or quad load without the lifter being welded.

As for weakhand method from a caddy, I just got the Taccom Quick Caddy and they seem promising.

TC-QC12-2.jpg

...They made two shell technique carriers, but I end up getting my thumb bit with that technique.

Did you have the lifter welded? I can't see being able to do load 2 or quad load without the lifter being welded.

As for weakhand method from a caddy, I just got the Taccom Quick Caddy and they seem promising.

Not welded. Was having no issues with bites so have not. Only time I got snagged good was when I was trying weakhand load2s.

Not welded. Was having no issues with bites so have not. Only time I got snagged good was when I was trying weakhand load2s.

I get how you might not need it welded with traditional weakhand, but load 2 methods seem to position your thumb in a way that makes it more vulnerable to lifter bite.

Load 2 may be faster to learn and faster for the average shooter but it definitely demands a big loading port and a welded lifter.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought three of the Mountain Man carriers and do have to say they are pricey, and very nice! I was thinking of adding on one of the Ap 4x4's (added capacity if needed) but with mid size hands i am not sure it would work to grab the back 4 and that i would just dump them on the ground. How many caddy's do you have? I have an arm band if one stage got ridiculous but with 8 loaded (in the gun) and two on the side for "oh crap" and 12 in the Mountain Man what does it take to have enough to cover the bases?

Tom

I ran 4 Mme caddies last year and it wasn't always enough, so I bought 2 more for this season. I only have an 8 round tube tho.

Even with my large hands I have the issue of not being able to grab the rear row of shells on the AP 4x4, so I would recommend borrowing one and trying it out before you buy one.

What's the high typical round count needed? I am by no means skinny but i am afraid of running out of room on my belt with three pistol mags an AR mag holder and how many shot shell caddy's? I want to shoot the Indiana 3 gun series and maybe pick up a local club match easy drive from north west Indiana.

I contacted John Fuhrman with the Indiana 3 Gun and he said they 8 to a high of 24 is the typical range so i am going to pick up two more caddys and then that should be my limit until after Thanksgiving dinner (then i can add one or two more :) ). If i go to a big shotgun match i will just use an arm band for the extras.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Question regarding trigun rules: is it necessary to carry all shotgun ammo on the belt?

In IPSC we can carry shotgun rounds also on belly-rigs (like Chameleon Load-2). This way you can have pistol and carbine on your 'normal' belt and shotgun ammo above them.

Edited by Llandaff

For this and other series I have shot (there are no standard rules) you can carry shotgun shells anywhere you want. I prefer to load weak hand and carry them on my belt. This past weekend i used an arm band for the extras to make up the round count and that worked well for me.

I appreciate the thought. I saw several folks with them this weekend at a match. I have not tried them but i was not that impressed to spend the money. Maybe i will borrow one at the next match and "drink the Koolaid"?

I had the same initial reaction. I quickly dismissed the idea... until I tried one. With a little effort (and mustered enthusiasm) I was quickly able to surpass my best weak hand load time. Yes, definitely borrow one and give it the ol' college try. I think that's all it takes for many people. Good luck!