Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hard travel case for 3gun

For those of you that travel. I am looking for a hard case that can put all 3 of my guns in to travel with.

I would prefer a pelican I have grown to love everything about them except the price. I have a 1750 that I was going to resource for this ( it used to hold a 26" bolt gun that doesn't travel anymore) but I would have to buy another foam set and my shotgun ha to at least have the extension removed and I would prefer to leave it together.

So I guess what I'm asking or is pictures of your set ups so I can get some better ideas.

I followed Bruce Piatt's advice. I have a Brownell's 3 gun soft case and put into a SKB hard golf bag case. Kind of "stealthy" and you leave the hard case in the hotel and bring just the soft case to the range.

+1 ^^^^^^^

Check your local second hand sports stores you can usually pick one of these up cheap.

I use a soft double gun case, put my rifle and shotgun inside it, then stick the soft case inside a big Starlight case. There's rooms left on the end for my handgun in a gun rug, as well as my shotshell carriers, mag carriers, and rifle magazines.

I use a soft double gun case, put my rifle and shotgun inside it, then stick the soft case inside a big Starlight case. There's rooms left on the end for my handgun in a gun rug, as well as my shotshell carriers, mag carriers, and rifle magazines.

Same for me. I make sure my long guns are securely strapped inside the soft case to minimize their movement.

Same here, although the Starlight case can be a PITA to close sometimes.

I have a starlight and a pelican and I prefer the pelican. I run a 12 round tube and have to remove it. I think the longest you can get away with us about a 10 round tube and still fit it in any case with our breaking it down. I also break down my rifle because it makes more room.

I use a Pelican1750 with a soft case instead of the cutout foam when flying. I have trigger locks on all three guns. With 4 pmags and 4 sti pistol mags my case weighed exactly 50lbs plus two exterior master locks.

Which soft case do you use?

I use a 5.11 double gun case. It's only 42" long, and my shotgun has a 26" barrel, so I use an Eberlestock shotgun scabbard over the muzzle of the shotgun and let it stick out the end of the soft case. It looks a little funny, but works pretty well. Because of using a shorter soft case, I have room at the end inside the hard case for a pistol rug, rifle magazines, shotshell carriers, pistol mags, and pistol mag carriers. My case typically weighs about 49# loaded like this.

Here's a picture, but it's a short SLP shown, not my long M1 that I shoot.

399830665.jpg

I have the Plano gun guard double scoped rifle case that I was able to fit my rifle and shotgun in. It resembles a pelican. Dicks has them for around 160 I think. I'll post a pick later. It's ok. Not as sweet as the previous one though

• 2 weeks later...

I use the longest double rifle case Americase makes. If I remove the extended endcap and spring from my M1, It will JUST fit along with my AR. I could probably sneak my STI in too but I haven't tried.

They support 3gun matches (I picked this one up of the table at Texas Multigun).

Well I won't to a local custom foam store that deals with couch cushions and things like that. Got two big pieces of foam that are slightly denser then the pelican foam. Only downside is they are white. Paid 40 bucks that the are a foot wider then the case so ie got enough to play around with.

It's not as cool looking as some pelicans but it will get my guns through the airport

photo-23.jpg

Well I won't to a local custom foam store that deals with couch cushions and things like that. Got two big pieces of foam that are slightly denser then the pelican foam. Only downside is they are white. Paid 40 bucks that the are a foot wider then the case so ie got enough to play around with.

It's not as cool looking as some pelicans but it will get my guns through the airport

photo-23.jpg

What Pelican case is that?

I have the 1750 and had the foam cut out for my rifle and pistol. Later got into three gun and refused to pay the crazy amount of money from pelican for new foam. So I went to michaels and glued two pieces together. I can fit my rifle, pistol, and shotgun. Just have to take the choke and pad off.