Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

pin works out when shooting my G17?

cali shot doc

I was at the range the other day and realized one of the pins on my 17 was working its self out, and this was on one of my softer loads. I've never had this happen and have sidelined the gun until I can figure out what happened. Anyone experience this before?

Which pin?

It was the top one on the frame. I believe it's the one that holds the slide lock spring down

How many times have you taken them out? Could they be wore out?

I've had the weapon for 3 years now and do a complete strip once a year plus a couple upgrades so maybe 5 times????

Where's the best place to get a new pin fast (taking my cousin to the range for his 13th bday and the glock is his favorite so I'd like to get it fixed ASAP)

Edited by cali shot doc

I get extras from Brownells but if you have a local Glock armorer at a gun store he would for sure. Easy fix. If you have the Glock Tool use the corner of the head to depress it slightly into the frame. That's what those head corners are for.

Edited by Locomotion

It sounds like you are describing the locking block pin (which is a two dollar part). The good news is that your friendly neighborhood Glock armorer will have plenty in supply and you can usually find said armorers at retail outlets that sell a good amount of Glock pistols. The cautionary news is that I would really strongly recommend bringing it in to be assessed by said Glock armorer because this isn't something that should be happening.

If the slide stop spring were compromised the slide would lock back after every shot. The slide stop is the last part to be inserted before the last and third pin (trigger) is inserted into the receiver (frame). If the slide stop lever is not locking back after every shot, I wouldn't worry too much about the locking block pin coming loose. Check DIRECTION it's coming loose Left to Right? Is it coming out all the way? Just slide it back into the locking block "RIGHT to LEFT" (looking at the receiver in a safe direction) into the receiver. The locking block pin is the FIRST pin removed when disassembling the receiver so if it is not coming out consistently I wouldn't worry about it. If it is then it's most likely an easy fix. Without physically looking at your gun this is just my opinion.

Push it back in and shoot it. Keep a eye on it while you enjoy the gun. Won't hurt a thing to shoot it and push it in every once in a while if needed. Check the spring setup as well. That could be the issue. More then likely you just didn't get it in far enough after the last teardown.